I can’t figure it out. It isn’t huge, but it’s heavy. Specs are 9 x 2 x 12 inches - ‎1.52 pounds. And it’s totally smooth on the back. Nowhere to put a hook. Has anyone figured out a way to do it?

The picture is where I have it now. On the mantle, next to Robbie. But I have a giant Spock on my wall and I want it next to him.

• Frenchy@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

You could always try command picture hanging strips - I’ve had great success with stuff weighing more than 1 kg. They can theoretically hang up to 5.5 kg so you should be fine. Each time I got them off the wall without damaging the paint too so bonus for that.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The not damaging the paint part is the best news about this method. I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

• Frenchy@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Glad to help - I was surprised as well that they really didn’t take off even the cheap paint in my last rental. I had some quite heavy framed mirrors stuck up. When the time comes you have to be a bit careful pulling them off - follow the instructions carefully when doing so. You have to push down on the bit stuck to the wall quite hard and then pull the tab along the wall until it stretches right out and it all comes off perfectly.

• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Is it metallic? Specifically anything a strong magnet can attach to?

If so maybe a wall mount with several strong neodymium magnets and a lip on the bottom to lessen the chance of it falling would help?

It’s the kind of thing 3d printing is great for.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Possibly, but they put part of the wires in the front and it doesn’t look very nice. I want it to look like a mounted plaque like on the bridge if I can figure out a way.

• Windows_Error_Noises@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

There’s always velcro? Though you may not want to attach it directly to the wall because of paint, you could probably use it to attach something for hanging, to the back. I recently mounted a nearly 10lb, 48"x24" white board directly to a metal door with a single package of adhesive mounting velcro. It wasn’t even intentional, I had a whole over-the-door hook plan worked out for its mounting holes, using the velcro to keep it level and from any movement, and it turned out to be plenty, shockingly strong enough.

It’s actually got me super excited for more hanging of weird things, cause I’ve gotten pretty good with Command Hooks, etc, and often find them wanting… Literally tonight, though I can’t prove the timeliness, had one fall off the wall, that wasn’t holding anything heavier than its load, just an old walking stick. Eventually, they die, and it seems the newer adhesive quality has become subject to enshitification, but I may also be a cynical shite. (งツ)ว

• Thisfox@sopuli.xyz
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

You can see where the four screws that mounted the original are sticking out. What a pity they didn’t put holes where there are meant to be holes.

• z00s@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

On a side note, does anyone know why it’s designated “USS”? Doesn’t that mean “United States Ship”? Isn’t the federation a kind of whole earth effort? I know that there’s an actual US aircraft carrier with that name, but I thought space travel was nonpartisan.