For those of you here who think the prime directive is flawed, or could be adjusted.

What do you agree with, how would you change what you disagree with, and why?

• lxskllr@mastodon.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@Nmyownworld

It is vague, and I would consider that positive. In your asteroid example, neither approach would lead to hard disciplinary action, but perhaps leadership could stress that moving the asteroid was the better approach, and that would propagate through channels, so the next time, a captain will act accordingly.

Pike’s interference is a little less clearcut. I think he did the right thing, and leadership seems to agree.

• lxskllr@mastodon.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@Nmyownworld

The debriefing can propagate through channels, and others can use it as a guideline to compare with their situation when it occurs.

The outcomes for what a captain does can range from a hand wavy “Good job”, to a week’s long tribunal that ends with the captain stripped of rank and sent to a prison camp.

It’s imperfect, as everything is, but it’s a good workable system when used by elite professionals, and will result in a positive outcome more times than not.

• lxskllr@mastodon.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@Nmyownworld

Precedent will make it better over time.

Sorry for the multipost. I’m on Mastodon, and have a character limit. I’m trying to limit my accounts, and working within restrictions, but I’m not sure the Mastodon-Lemmy is working out.

• Nmyownworld@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No worries about the multi-post. Of course, you must do what works best for you. Hopefully, that decision will keep you posting here on Star Trek. Your views and opinions are interesting and welcomed.