(Reuters) - Jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny has complained of being poisoned, assaulted and deprived of proper medical care, but on Monday he disclosed he faced a new challenge: being forced to listen to a pro-Putin pop singer at 0500 every morning.

Navalny, 47, a former lawyer who rose to prominence more than a decade ago by lampooning President Vladimir Putin’s elite and voicing allegations of vast corruption, is currently in a jail about 60 km (40 miles) north of the Arctic Circle.

Sentenced to stay in prison until he is 74 on charges he says were trumped up to keep him out of politics, Navalny said his morning regime now consisted of listening to the Russian national anthem before being played “I am Russian,” a patriotic song performed by a pro-Putin singer called “Shaman”.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

On 20 February 2023, he condemned Putin for “destroying” Russia’s own future “just to make our country look bigger on the map” and said that Russia must end its occupation of Ukraine and recognise Ukraine’s borders as they were established in 1991 after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Navalny also said Russia would have to pay post-war reparations to Ukraine and called for an international investigation into war crimes, saying: “Tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians have been murdered and pain and suffering have befallen millions more.”

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Good to see he’s changed his tune on this, now I’ll go from hate to mild-dislike because he’s still a nationalist.

I do wonder if he’d have said the same if Russia was able to pull it off in 3 days or whatever they originally said.