(Reuters) - Jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny has complained of being poisoned, assaulted and deprived of proper medical care, but on Monday he disclosed he faced a new challenge: being forced to listen to a pro-Putin pop singer at 0500 every morning.

Navalny, 47, a former lawyer who rose to prominence more than a decade ago by lampooning President Vladimir Putin’s elite and voicing allegations of vast corruption, is currently in a jail about 60 km (40 miles) north of the Arctic Circle.

Sentenced to stay in prison until he is 74 on charges he says were trumped up to keep him out of politics, Navalny said his morning regime now consisted of listening to the Russian national anthem before being played “I am Russian,” a patriotic song performed by a pro-Putin singer called “Shaman”.

• qooqie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I feel bad that this guy essentially martyr’d himself and I don’t really think it’s done anything to change Russian discourse. That being said this punishment is wild and something I would genuinely laugh at if it was happening in places like Guantanamo bay

• EvergreenGuru@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Wait, wasn’t Guantanamo Bay where the US tortured a bunch of innocent people? You’d have to be a sick/sadistic psychopath to laugh at crimes against humanity.

• qooqie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I was laughing at the thought of music being used, not the entire compound. But as someone linked an article explaining how much worse it is, I retract my statement of amusement ☹️

• LucasWaffyWaf@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I know of at least one band whose music has been reportedly used in Gitmo for torture purposes. Skinny Puppy’s album Weapon was written in response to that, and the band billed the US government $666,000 for the unlicensed usage of their music.

• ConfusedPossum@kbin.social
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Even before reading the post I knew immediately which song it is. I’ve seen it added ironically to many videos of Russians dying alone and cold in a bomb crater somewhere in a field in Ukraine

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Being forced to listen to Trump’s speeches is especially cruel.

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Mate, have you ever looked up this numpty’s views?

He’s a self professed Russian right wing nationalist who doesn’t support Ukraine.

The enemy of your enemy does not magically become your friend.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

He’s a lib with an anti-immigrant and nationalist streak, and I’m no fan of his. But a cursory glance at Wikipedia shows that he’s 100% against the war in Ukraine. So much so that he thinks crimea should be returned to Ukraine and that Russia should pay reparations. Whether he’d actually stand by that if he were in power is questionable, again, he’s a lib. But as far as we know, he’s about as pro-ukraine as a Russian can be

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

“Crimea, of course, now de facto belongs to Russia,” Navalny said. “I believe that, despite the fact that Crimea was seized in blatant violation of all international norms, nevertheless, the reality is that Crimea is now part of the Russian Federation. And let’s not fool ourselves. And I strongly advise Ukrainians not to deceive themselves either. It will remain part of Russia and will never become part of Ukraine in the foreseeable future.”

Venediktov pressed on, asking if Navalny would return Crimea if he ever became president.

“Is Crimea a bologna sandwich, or something, to be passed back and forth? I don’t think so,” Navalny said

He was then asked if Russians and Ukrainians were the same people. “My opinion, as a person who spent a lot of time in Ukraine, with relatives, etc.,” he said. “I don’t see any difference between Russians and Ukrainians at all.” He understood the ramifications, adding: “I think that such a point of view will cause some kind of monstrous indignation in Ukraine.”

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

On 20 February 2023, he condemned Putin for “destroying” Russia’s own future “just to make our country look bigger on the map” and said that Russia must end its occupation of Ukraine and recognise Ukraine’s borders as they were established in 1991 after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Navalny also said Russia would have to pay post-war reparations to Ukraine and called for an international investigation into war crimes, saying: “Tens of thousands of innocent Ukrainians have been murdered and pain and suffering have befallen millions more.”

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Good to see he’s changed his tune on this, now I’ll go from hate to mild-dislike because he’s still a nationalist.

I do wonder if he’d have said the same if Russia was able to pull it off in 3 days or whatever they originally said.