Hello,

I am hosting a shared Minecraft server (10-15 users usually) on dedicated hardware somewhere at OVH. I am considering moving this server to my home. I would save 25$ per month doing this, which would be my main motivation.

I am aware of other considerations (I’ll mention them later) but maybe I am missing something? Is there anyone who did the reverse (hosting a service with multiple users, moving them from your home to a hosting company) and what was your reason

Things I already considered:

• when my electricity/connection goes down the server goes down (that’s ok it’s just a game and my connection has always been very very stable)
  • hosting at home eats bandwidth (I have 50mbit which is way more than I use, I don’t stream or download much)
  • electricity costs money too
  • when the server is compromised my home network is compromised (handling servers and networks is my hobby and my job, I think I can make it safe)

Thank you for your thoughts!

• Lucky@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

What is your upload speed? Many ISPs give you 50 download but <5 upload, that would be a huge bottleneck

The biggest issue is security though. Unless you’re setting up a VPN that only works when you set up a secured client on each device, I wouldn’t trust that server to have access anywhere on the network. I would strongly recommend against opening any ports on your firewall as well. Tailscale and Cloudflare Tunnels are popular for homelabs that might be useful here and free for your use case

• RagingToad@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I have 50/50 speed so that’s ok.

And having a single open port in my firewall won’t do much. I’m trying to think of a scenario that is not secure. If the Minecraft service itself is hacked, then tailscale or Cloudflare tunnels won’t help me, because they will probably gain the same access rights as the user that I created for the server. Or am I missing something?

Weird TCP packets ? I probably receive those already, server or not.

• Lucky@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You will want to isolate the Minecraft server because it is notoriously easy to hack. If you can isolate it then Cloudflare is better than exposing your IP and opening ports at least. Tailscale would require registering each client using VPN so it isn’t accessable by anyone except trusted clients, and you’re not exposing ports/IP.

No matter what though, don’t let that server be able to talk to anything else on your network or even the admin login on your router/firewall. Treat it like it contains malware already

• RagingToad@feddit.nlOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Easy to hack: I’ve been Minecraft admin for a while now and never heard about that, do you have a source on that?

• Lucky@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I follow various red-team security researchers, like the Security This Week podcast, which has mentioned how easy it makes their jobs when they find a Minecraft server on either the employees network or even a work network.

I’m sure many of the vulnerabilities come from modding like the recent fractureiser virus going around lately. If you kept it 100% vanilla it would be more secure, but at the end of the day you have a platform designed to run modified code, most of which is downloaded from external sources, and you’re going to open that up to the world? I certainly don’t want that within ping’s reach of my home computer or firewall

• cnnrduncan@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

AFAIK the most secure way to host stuff on your home network is to set up a locked down, firewalled VLAN for it.

• driverdone@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If the hardware breaks, you’ll have to replace it. Although that might be the same in your current solution, don’t know if you’re just renting space for your own hardware or if you’re renting.

• RagingToad@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m renting hardware, so if it breaks I probably get the same hardware (and I am assuming backups will be on me). Yeah that is a valid consideration. It will cost me at least several days to find replacement hardware.

• mrmojo@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The main consideration I believe is missing is the cost of the hardware where you will be hosting the server. Maybe you have a old computer lying around, in that case its not an issue of course. By the way 25$ per month seems a bit expensive, there are probably cheaper alternatives, just for the sake of comparison.

• RagingToad@feddit.nlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

For a VPS it is expensive, but this is dedicated hardware. A Minecraft server needs a decent CPU (not many cores) and is memory hungry, so a minimum of 16GB. Needs decent ping all over the world.

Because of the last requirement I considered ovhcloud and hetzner and this one is still relatively cheap?

• tarneo@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

If you don’t mind around 4 hours of downtime per month (for now) I could host it for you at renn.es (contact info is there, just send us an email and we’ll send you an invite to a matrix room or something). We basically have a great server with nothing on it, so having one more service running wouldn’t really have any impact (we have 2-3 gigs of ram usage avg. out of 32).

EDIT: the server is in france with 6gbps down and 2 gigs up