Hello,

I am hosting a shared Minecraft server (10-15 users usually) on dedicated hardware somewhere at OVH. I am considering moving this server to my home. I would save 25$ per month doing this, which would be my main motivation.

I am aware of other considerations (I’ll mention them later) but maybe I am missing something? Is there anyone who did the reverse (hosting a service with multiple users, moving them from your home to a hosting company) and what was your reason

Things I already considered:

• when my electricity/connection goes down the server goes down (that’s ok it’s just a game and my connection has always been very very stable)
  • hosting at home eats bandwidth (I have 50mbit which is way more than I use, I don’t stream or download much)
  • electricity costs money too
  • when the server is compromised my home network is compromised (handling servers and networks is my hobby and my job, I think I can make it safe)

Thank you for your thoughts!

• RagingToad@feddit.nlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Easy to hack: I’ve been Minecraft admin for a while now and never heard about that, do you have a source on that?

• Lucky@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I follow various red-team security researchers, like the Security This Week podcast, which has mentioned how easy it makes their jobs when they find a Minecraft server on either the employees network or even a work network.

I’m sure many of the vulnerabilities come from modding like the recent fractureiser virus going around lately. If you kept it 100% vanilla it would be more secure, but at the end of the day you have a platform designed to run modified code, most of which is downloaded from external sources, and you’re going to open that up to the world? I certainly don’t want that within ping’s reach of my home computer or firewall