Basically, title.

I’m curious to see if the universe could be transmitted to the next generation, or if will stay a 90s-00s thing.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Did. They’re old enough now that they do their own reading unless they’re sick and want comfort.

I was an adult when the Potter stuff came out, and enjoyed it for what it was. Then the kid came along well after the movies had started.

While I do sometimes wish I had pirated the books and movies, they are still good enough stories overall. All the kids in my life that read, do enjoy the series to some degree. And, if any of them requested the series, I’d read it to them now.

Ignoring the author being an idiot, which is not exactly something exclusive to Rowling, or something new, the series is going to stay a classic for the foreseeable future. Look how long it took for the little house books to fall away from general awareness, or the Beverley Cleary stuff. At some point, I don’t doubt there will be enough time and distance that Potter isn’t as relevant to as many, but (like the other classics) isn’t likely to ever entirely fade.

Having come to the series as an adult, the many flaws were glaring on first read. But, being real, they aren’t any worse than most series aimed at a younger audience. Narnia is an example of that. Giant, glaring plot and world building holes. Kids books and YA books, for good or ill, aren’t held to the same standards. As long as they’re fun and easy enough to read, that’s all that matters. And the Potter books do that very well.

• stanka@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

HP becomes less good with each moment Rowling continues to be hateful.

I think if she was how we all want her to be, no one would have stepped back from the world and said, “Wait, what do we really have here?”.

The answer to that question is pretty formulaic, lazy writing. I read the books as they came out, they were great, but damn Harry, couldn’t you just go have a 10 minute conversation with dumbledore and skip 90% of the books?

To actually answer your question. My daughter read them all from age 9-10, absolutely loved them, but sometime in the intervening 2 years the magic wore off and she is no longer interested at all.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

To actually answer your question. My daughter read them all from age 9-10, absolutely loved them, but sometime in the intervening 2 years the magic wore off and she is no longer interested at all.

Interesting, I growing up as they were released really made a difference

• 𝔼𝕩𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕒@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Just found you in the All section but to contribute:

I think if I have kids yea, if only because it is a complete collection of books that I still have. Growing up they were my first chapter book and the reading difficulty/complexity increases as the books go on, and they now form a complete story (rather than being open ended to add more books, or an unfinished saga). The era of riding the phenomena wave is well gone so I doubt it will culminate in anything more than passing interest. That said as they get older it would serve as a good litmus to see which side of the coin they pick - “separate work from the author” person or a “this person being a shitbag taints their work and they should not be rewarded”. Which, as a parent would be helpful to know as they grow.

Making them sit down to read 7 books across a few months/years is a great lesson in itself too.

• marketsnodsbury@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The first book came out when I was in my late teens. I wasn’t interested in the YA genre at all, so I never read them or watched the films.

Fast forward a gazillion years, when my daughter was 8, I got the first book— one of the lovely editions with illustrations by Jim Kay. We’re on The Order of the Phoenix now, with me reading about a chapter every other night to her. She’s a voracious reader on her own, but I wanted to find a new-to-both-of-us series that could extend that magical “story time” period of childhood a little longer. Harry Potter did not disappoint.

J.K. Rowling, on the other hand, continues to be a sore spot on an otherwise happy experience. My daughter is old enough that we discuss art vs. artist, and some of the problematic things Rowling has said publicly. Hard, but necessary, conversations.