A new economic report from TD says Canada is falling behind the standard-of-living curve compared to its peers.

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

If y’all keep listening to conservatives and businessmen, you’re going to catch down to the United States of America

“Economic growth does not necessarily equate to economic prosperity,” TD economist Marc Ercolao wrote

This is what I’m talking about. This is the second line in an article that spends the entire time talking about a decline in economic growth as a proxy for standard of living. Changes in GDP don’t mean shit if the wealth isn’t fairly distributed

• Nalivai
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Never heard conservatives talking about anything like that, in any country. If they ever talk about it it’s always bootstraps and tax cuts for the rich

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Talking… sometimes. Actively doing the thing they talk about… nope.

• girlfreddy@mastodon.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

@cyberpunk007 @Numpty

Now, yes. But it didn’t used to be. Prior to Jack Layton shifting the NDP to center-left the party continuously battled against the neo-liberal politics of both the Tory and Liberals.

I mean just consider if Canada had stayed in a for-profit healthcare system … do we actually think any one of those 3, or for that matter any provincial gov’t, would now be seeking to implement universal healthcare like the NDP’s Tommy Douglas did in Saskatchewan?

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

So we have that, then we have the NDP which is basically the liberals lap dog, and then the liberals which have made many decisions I disagree with. Who’s left to vote for?

• emeralddawn45
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Yeah fuck these people. “Liberals don’t always do what I want and NDP never wins they just join with the liberals so I’m gonna vote conservative even though they ruin everything for everyone”.

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Yeah fuck these people.

A little harsh, don’t you think? FWIW I voted NDP last couple elections…

• Numpty@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I struggle with the same question. I’m trying to educate myself about the options… and it’s damn difficult. Every option is a poor choice for different reasons. One party has a core platform that is completely out of touch with the public, the next relies on fingerpointing and provides zero solutions, and the third just parrots what people are thinking on many issues but does nothing more than grandstanding.

Sigh.

With the way things are, we end up voting for a party we dislike so that the party we feel is destructive to Canada doesn’t win the election… and then we end up dissatisfied with the results. It’s pretty broken.