• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Keith Richards is about as far from the colonial class of British person as it is possible to get. Until he got famous, they despised and disregarded him as much as they did any third-worlder, and he them.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Keith Richards’s autobiography “Life” is absolutely excellent. The whole thing is about his love for music; about the first 100 pages is all just about growing up struggling to listen to the crazy new style of music that was right then being created., and wanting so badly to be involved with making it happen.

He actually addresses the drug use which is the unfair stereotype everyone knows him for. He said, he observed people getting fucked up or overdosing and he knew that hard drugs were a genuinely dangerous thing, so he was always careful with his dosages. He’d do careful math, okay I took X amount at time Y so that means hold off until time Y+whatever, and then I can take this much more, things like that. He just had a healthy respect for the physiology of what he was getting into and was sensible and disciplined about approach it in a manner where he could have a good time and not go too far. And so, he developed this reputation as an indestructible druggie wild man, when the reality was 100% the opposite.

• polygon6121@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Sounds exactly how a functioning alcoholic would reason. In your own mind you think you have it figured out, from the outside we see that you are not functioning at all.

I am happy he survived and is doing well, great artist and guitarist

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I mean I’m not recommending heroin cocaine booze and God knows whatever else as a great way to go for success in life 🙂. I’m just reporting what he told me about it, which was more or less, if you’re gonna do it then be measured about it instead of diving in headfirst and hoping it all works out.

• Akasazh@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Well obviously his autobiography will try and downplay any negative stigma. Not that that means it’s untrue, however it shouldn’t be taken as truth either.

• Omega_Haxors@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It is said that Jesus already had his 4th coming. He showed up took one look at your average American and said “nah fuck those crackers to hell”