RARBG shutting down left a huge hole for me and I can’t figure out what’s a good alternative for it other than 1337. Any suggestions?

• Azzu@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Sure I’d be ok with them, but they’re private, it’s almost impossible to get on them.

And then I was on one once, and it requires you to keep a 1.0 ratio or something. But there are plenty of power users that have a 50.0 ratio with their seed boxes, so they’re essentially “taking traffic” from 49 other people trying to maintain their 1.0 ratio. Even though I had my stuff properly seeding that I downloaded, only few downloaded from me, so I couldn’t maintain my ratio.

• ANIMATEK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Some of them are hard to get in, but TL and IPT are damn easy, they open up many times per year. And if you download new stuff or big torrents is always freelech so it doesn’t even count to your ratio. So, it’s quite easy actually.

• Azzu@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I understand that private trackers are opening up, I’m just not sure how I’d ever know about it, which is what I meant with ‘impossible’.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Reddit has /r/OpenSignups and there’s one here on Lemmy but I don’t recall which instance it’s on.

• ANIMATEK@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Actually that subreddit is locked for ever. There is a website, opentrackers.org, that is kinda the authority right now. It’s operated by a trustworthy “poor” guy who has been long enough in the scene.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

All the ones I’ve ever been on had a way to build ratio using points earned by seeding. I have crappy upload speeds at home but have built a large ratio on all the ones I’m on just by permaseeding files and looking for freeleech items to download and seed.

• Azzu@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I haven’t heard of “freeleech”, so that probably wasn’t a concept back then or at least on that tracker. It was quite a while ago.

• ManuelC@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

There are ratio friendly private trackers. One of them is FileList. Probably you should keep an eye for open signups.