EDIT: Just crossed 26000!

Almost! At the time of this post, lemmy.world has a whopping 25733 users and is growing fast.

Since my last post yesterday, it has added 4000 new users, making it the clear second-largest lemmy instance out there. Also quickly catching up to lemmy.ml’s 36000 (not taking new signups).

beehaw.org (3rd largest) sits at 12500 users, partly because of more restrictive registration requirements.

Source: https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/list

Exciting to see all this growth!

• MicroWave@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For what it’s worth, beehaw.org is run by 4 admins and a number of mods. They also hope the defederation is temporary until better moderation tools are available: https://beehaw.org/post/567170.

We’ll see if they really mean that, but others have said that lemmy moderation tools are still limited compared to mastodon’s, for example.

• GreenPlasticSushiGrass@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s a shame that beehaw had to use a “nuke” because other moderation tools weren’t available, but I think it makes for a great natural experiment in the early fediverse. Beehaw wants to build an instance with higher community standards, as is their right. Will defederation of lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works lead to fewer sign-ups at beehaw? Will members leave? Will they just make accounts at other instances and keep their beehaw account? Will this help spread membership to smaller instances? It should be interesting.

• JanoRis@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

isn’t it the best to use another instance than beehive, lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works in that case? you will still have access to all other communities. Been thinking of creating another account on feddit, since it is probably too local to get on beehives shitlist and other instances might be reluctant to just block out a whole country community

• bob@lemmy.havocperil.uk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

that nutscrape gif really takes me back. I miss the 90s when all of the internet felt like Lemmy does today

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah, I was looking for a profile picture to upload. I found this in my pictures folder. No idea where I got it from. Probably just downloaded it because I thought it looked cool. I’m surprised it is animated in browsers.

After I uploaded it I did notice the feeling of the early internet. I was born in 1991 so I wasn’t really using the internet back then but I imagine this might be what it felt like to an extent. :)

• AnonymousLlama@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Probably the integration of modding tools like AutoMod would be heaps handy here, it could automatically flag potentially troublesome posts and help cut back on spam / bad actors.

From memory Reddit uses automod and so does twitch / discord. Though I’m not sure if they actively let you integrate with it directly on third party sites

• Jamie@jamie.moe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

There is an advantage that Lemmy’s backend is entirely an API with a detached frontend. There are already API wrappers for Rust and Typescript that are officially supported, so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone writes a robust automod that can be implemented for communities that desire one.

I have a bit of interest in doing it, but I know nothing about the API itself, so I’m not sure how easy it would be to grab every new thing submitted to a community or instance for moderation.

• AnonymousLlama@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah I’m also interested in seeing how all of these sites work and looking at ways I can help improve it. The whole positing process / propagation process seems pretty complex though so I’ll probably let the more familiar devs work on it for now.

From what I understand though, each admin (for example kbin.social) is maintaining a fork of their project so they could implement automod on their own local content, but that wouldn’t stop propagated content (e.g from Lemmy) coming in that’s spam.

Seems like the issue might need to be fixed on a site by site basis.

• Bardak@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think I would be helpful for instances to have more control over federation than turning on or of for there instances. Ideally I think giving lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works read only access to Beehaw would have been the best option while we wait for better moderation tools. Until those options exist though they didn’t really have much other choice.