link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Do people just bash epic to bash epic?

No one I talk to in real life has ever had one of these complaints about the launcher, it has its issues, but logging and startup isn’t them.

• schmidtster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Few seconds, steam takes longer. And I’ve never had login issues too.

Is it from linked accounts or privacy clearing techniques?

• The Picard Maneuver@startrek.websiteOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Weird, steam is so much faster for me. And I don’t do anything strange, just log in and use it, but almost every single time it asks for my password. I wonder if there’s a timer - like, if you don’t log in for a week, you have to give your credentials again?

• Land_Strider@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Even without re-entering my credentials or actually completely closing and opening EGS within (reasonably waiting for all related processed to close first) a few seconds, it opens and loads/downloads my library content very late compared to Steam or GOG. Opening the store as default was actually worse.

So far all my friends have the same experience. The top commenter must be very lucky, or maybe their EGS program runs in the background at startup.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

Epic

Even my friends have similar experiences, between steam and epic taking the same amount of time. Even before I upgraded I never noticed an issue like “minutes”.

• gamermanh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

On my beefy desktop PC it takes about 30s to a minute to open on a 4 year old SSD

Steam takes about 15s max, less usually but it opens on PC start so I don’t usually have to open it

On my laptop from 3 years ago steam is about a 22s open (doesn’t open on launch there) and epic takes well over a minute and a fucking half

The laptop hardware is just slightly older, lower versions of basically the same desktop hardware too so why the difference is so gd massive idk

But it seems like some hardware HATES EGS

• Land_Strider@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

No, of course I’m not saying it takes minutes on a computer from the last few years with a nvme. The duration in the meme is likely a blatant exaggeration for meming, or for a weaker computer (still a valid criticism point but another topic).

I just tried both. With the first start, Steam vs Epic timers are about 5vs10 seconds, while with a second launch Steam still keeps to 5 while Epic is down to 7 second for me.

These are all on a Ryzen 3600 with 3500wr nvme and a 3200mhz ram, but friends have both worse and better PCs in all regards and still notice the difference.

5 vs 7, even 5 vs 10 seconds on an enough PC isn’t and shouldn’t be something to fret about. Admittedly, my feelings of Epic being slower comes from still long first post-install runs and usage from 6+ months ago, and in my case Epic opens quite quickly these days.

Edit: Checked your vid, and yeah, something similar on a second-run, but albeit with a flashing Epic logo once, but in a similar duration in total.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Epic

Steam

I7 13700kf 64ram 4080

Like I get I have few issues from the newness and overkill, but credentials shouldn’t be a hardware issue, and sometimes new components do weird things loading wise. My old 2600k did things better than newer chips for years.

Edit, I wonder if internet speed matters, I’ve got gig internet.

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Interesting to see this discussion because I don’t use epic because I don’t play many games outside of TF2 and space engineers and I more or less just use steam to auto update blender and tell me how my PC is doing so all I experienced is steam taking about a half minute to open every time.

• dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Epic takes 2 or more minutes for me to launch. Also when Im in my library, the page keeps refreshing randomly which shoots you back to the top. Very fun UI.

• callouscomic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes. Over the years I just stick to Steam partly because it actually keeps me logged in and actually functions faster than a snails pace.

Uplay/Uconnect whatever they wanna call themselves today is the worst. But Origin/EA and Epic ain’t much better.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

egs games are drm-free and with Legendary it’s a really nice experience (I’m using legendary with playnite)
        never lost my token/login
        the epic servers are kinda slow tho

• pivot_root@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

There are valid reasons to bash Epic. I’ve written about some of them in another comment thread I made on Lemmy, but the overall problem I (and likely many others) have with them is a combination of their CEO’s hypocrisy and the company’s actions.

• Longpork2@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I didn’t realise you could bash it? Isn’t it a GUI application? And one that needs to run inside wine at that?

• soloner@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Same here. I run it on windows 11 and sign in with Google… never really noticed any performance issues.

• pivot_root@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

While both of our claims are anecdotal, I’ve had it cause performance issues. It definitely isn’t the normal behavior for EGS and was probably a bug, but on my system it was sometimes sitting in the tray consuming 10 GB of system memory (and causing excessive swapping due to memory pressure).