Hi! I was just browsing Lemmy apps and came across this. I just wanted to say, this is AMAZING for a web app. I was previously using jerboa, but honestly this feels smoother. The only really prior experience I had with PWAs was an app for my work, which is super janky, not to mention most mobile websites are awful. Not so here. I will definitely be using this now.

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The user interface and features is awesome, but I think it suffers from being a PWA in smoothness, this one can’t compare against Summit for Lemmy for example.

• dingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’ve heard of a lot of complaints on smoothness which is interesting to me. I use Voyager because it’s the smoothest and fastest experience. All of the dedicated apps for me are occasionally laggy, glitchy, and slow, no matter which I try, but Voyager is like butter.

So I’m curious…what OS and browser are you on where it gets laggy and glitchy? I’m on Android using Brave browser and it’s damn near perfect.

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I use Chrome and well, yeah maybe lack of smoothness isn’t the right term, this app is incredible and keeps improving each update (for instance I think is way smoother in latest update lol), but go and try Summit for Lemmy, maybe you’ll understand what do I mean about “smooth as a stock app”

• rbits@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

But then the links don’t open in Firefox, which is a dealbreaker for me

• Adam@geddit.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Same. I’m also using Brave just for Voyager and Firefish. I really wish Firefox had better support for PWAs.

• AgentCorgi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s definitely good. But not as smooth as other native apps. Again I’m happy with this.

• Num10ck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

would it matter on ios which browser you used to add voyager to the home screen? like does voyager launch/run differently from firefox vs safari etc?

• >spyjoshx_OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m on android, so it is possible for there to be a difference here, but on iOS every browser uses safari for its webview, so there is absolutely no difference if you use Firefox or safari or chrome.

• yesbutnobutyesbutno@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I’ve been testing other Lemmy iOS apps (Mlem, Avelon, Thunder, Lemmios, Liftoff, Memmy and Bean), and for me personally, Voyager beats them all in terms of design, features, releases and app performance.

The latter rather surprised me, but when scrolling and otherwise interacting with a post with a very large number of (nested) comments, Voyager showed no hiccups whatsoever, while some of the native apps really struggled.

Yes, I know the scrolling sometimes “hangs”, but that’s because of a bug with Safari, not Voyager, so you can’t really fault the app for that (well you can, but I won’t).

Great work, much appreciated. This certainly helps to cope with the loss of Apollo.

• snake@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I share your enthusiasm, this is really awesome for a web app!

The only thing that bothers me so far is that for some reason tapping the top of the screen doesn’t scroll all the way up as it does on other apps/websites.