• finkrat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I am Christian (I’m not out to go modify non-Christians though and have a lot of misgivings about the way other Christians have been approaching the topic) and have been in the church basically my whole life and can echo what u/BarqsHasBite stated. The big fear from their end is LGBTQIA+ folks “converting” the children to change the nation. Spend enough time looking at liberal-based news (I imagine you don’t want to, that’s fine but it needs to be said) and you’ll see lots of examples of Christian vitriol against LGBTQIA+ in a very un-Christ-like manner. If you’re not seeing it around you, you’re lucky.

“It’s bigotry and they’ve fully embraced it.”

As a Christian talking to a Christian, I’m astounded you don’t understand the nature of the culture war going on. One side views homosexuality as a horror that needs to be snuffed out, and the other side views it as a major component of their person that is inseparable. One side wants homosexuality to die and the other side views that as a threat against their person. One side is using the Republican party to attack availability of transgender services that a good chunk of the other side relies on to live because they have followed their gender dysphoria through to personal body modification.

You and a lot of other Christians in this country need to stop with the persecution claims and crawl out from under your rock and have some open dialogue with your fellow Americans or citizens of whatever country you’re in and stop cowering behind your pride and ego. It’s fair to be viewed with mistrust when others of your faith are attacking what they are standing for. We are being intolerant of their choices and then crying intolerance and that is plain idiotic.

• such_lettuce7970@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The person you’re responding to, Eleazor, just commented to me a week later: “I’m sorry but yes, you should consider bottom surgery mutilation. There’s a difference between the other things but I’m sure you’re missing it.”