• Album@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Linux loads the gtk libs when your desktop starts because it’s a major component of gnu/gnome. Windows doesn’t until you launch an app that would use it. It’s not a small library.

• heeplr@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not a small library.

it’s featherweight compared to Windows Desktop, tho

• Album@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Sure… But the point is that it’s an apples to oranges compare when half of gimp is loaded by the OS at boot under Linux and at runtime on Windows.

• Album@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t use KDE any more so I don’t follow closely. But it used to be significantly slower. I recall some years back they were working to change KDE loading of gtk libs but I’m not sure what came out of that

• pilaf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

But GIMP uses GTK 2 (unless you’re using the 3.0 beta), while GNOME and most other GTK-based DEs use GTK 3 (or maybe 4 now?), so the OS still has to load GTK 2 for GIMP on a cold run.

• Album@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You need to have libgtk installed to run gimp. It would be like running a Qt app (what KDE environment and apps are based on, among other apps like OBS, roblox, google earth, virtual box, etc) without libQt. You couldn’t because the dependencies aren’t installed.

Of course nothing is stopping you from running both, except maybe memory limitations on low ram hardware.

Or you don’t install it as you suggest and use alternative apps.