• FaceDeer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah, if we really wanted an instant-death mechanism with zero chance of any pain then we’d probably pack the victim in dynamite and vaporize them faster than nerve signals can travel.

Unfortunately people who are pro-death-penalty are often weirdly squeamish about stuff like that.

• sizzler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

You’ve clearly thought about this. I didn’t need that visual in my head, but here we are.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Wish it wasn’t a subject that I’d have to think about but it does come up way more than it should.

On the plus side, use enough dynamite and there’d be nothing left to be squeamish about. Not even bits of teeth.

• jwt@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Sure, if you shoot someone in the head from 20ft or accidentally drive a rod in someone’s brain that might occasionally be a survivable event. But if you aim from closeby, with the intent of ending someones life? Chances of survival are slim to none. (With a mercy shot being an option if that’s the case)

I’m vehemently against the death penalty, but there are about a thousand ways to do it ‘better’ than the US is doing right now (it just wouldn’t be as neat/clean, which apparently is more important to the people in charge)