I built my 3D printer a couple of months ago, but I can’t get it to print sharp corners. The corners in the picture should be 90°, without any fillets:

During this test print, I played with multiple parameters: speed, temperature, acceleration, junction deviation, linear advance. All of these were also individually tuned previously. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Could this be a issue with the construction of my printer? I’m beginning to think my hotend isn’t rigid enough, but then I would at least expect better results at low speeds.

Edit: the printer is a CoreXY of my own design running Marlin 2.1.2.1. The Slicer is PrusaSlicer with most settings left as default (but increased speeds)

• rambos@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Id like to see a single wall cube print like 30x30 mm. Corners on the picture look rounded too much, but wall thickness is only 1.35 mm (right?). In ideal world you would have R0.225 on each corner so the flat part would be only 0.9 mm. Thats super small, you probably want smaller nozzle for details like that. But yeah, maybe it can be improved by tuning settings or reducing play in your XY gantry

• elDalviniOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

This is a 40x40 cube printed in vase mode:

The corners look pretty okay on that:

But I don’t see these kind of results on real-world parts. I guess I have to print some more test parts to narrow down the problem.

• rambos@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Cube looks good, but corners are rounded bit too much I think (at least the one on 2nd pic)

• rambos@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Your design CoreXY reminds me on belt issues. Do you have a pic? It doesnt have to be mechanical issue, but belts must be tight and parallel/perpendicular to linear motion system.

• elDalviniOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The belts are parallel to the axis, but I will try tightening them some more.

• rambos@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

It looks great. Ive seen some bad designs with weird belt paths, but not your case

• elDalviniOP
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

Tightening the belts seems to have helped, but I will have to do some more printing to be sure. Thanks for your help!