Hi

First sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my main language.

I need outside perspective on min/maxing the build I’m planning to buy next month. This will be exclusively for a gaming pc, no streaming or work related tasks. Dual ultrawide monitors, 5120x1440 and 3400x1440. Usually the big one for FPS, racing sims, … And the smaller one for others as suitable. I’m aiming for at least 120 FPS stable.

Right now I’m using a 9900k with a 2080ti, but new titles are getting difficult to get at 70-80 FPS stable. That pc is going to a new couch setup I’m setting up on my bedroom.

I’m switching to AMD since the 7800x3d is the new king now, and I’m done with Nvidia price shenanigans. I mainly use Linux, aside from a Windows partition for that only game that needs it, so AMD also seems more logical in my opinion for my setup.

In the near future (next year or so) I’m planning to switch to a more powerful GPU, hoping prices will be more reasonable so I’m keeping in mind for the system to be able to handle a stronger GPU, so the 1000W PSU.

I was thinking around 3000 € here in Spain, and I won’t trade the case, that’s a treat for myself. Still doubtful about the Mobo, the GPU brand, the RAM, cooler…

Any input is welcome, thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor €416.80 @ Neobyte
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler €112.03 @ PC Componentes
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard €298.80 @ LIFE Informatica
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive €174.99 @ PC Componentes
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive €151.99 @ Amazon Espana
Video Card XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card €1059.90 @ Amazon Espana
Case HYTE Y70 Touch ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €193.99 @ PC Componentes
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €2408.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-27 12:40 CET+0100
  • eldain@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I would wait at least until a week after the 4080 super comes out, this should impact 7900xtx pricing and is really soon.

Personally I would consider waiting the ~8 months for RDNA4 and be the first to buy the new flagship if I had your budget and monitor demands, and rock the 2080ti on medium and dlss if necessary.

• Pungentstentch@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I agree with you. Mi idea is to pass the 7900XTX to the old computer as soon as the new GPU gen arrives and if it’s worth the change. I have a couple relatives willingly waiting to adopt the 2080ti. But I’m set to buy the new PC this February, so I guess the 7900 XTX would suffice until then and if the 4080 super pushes the price lower then better. I think it can give me more margin of time also to decide if upgrading or not when RDNA4 or even the new Nvidia series arrive.

• eldain@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Watch the 4080 super reviews on wednesday, there should be fresh 7900xtx data in there to make up your mind. It is 2x faster than the 2080ti according to techpowerup, so you might be getting 140-180 fps on your setup and allow you to skip a generation. The 7800xt has dropped to €500 sinds the superduper launches, fingers crossed for your 7900xtx.

• Vinny_93@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s funny how people apologising for bad English usually have great English writing capabilities.

Besides that. I think your build looks fine. One thing you might consider is double checking if you really need all the things on your motherboard. I myself went with a mATX board because it has plenty of connectors for my usage.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thanks, I struggle with my main language too (lol) so I keep wondering if I am understandable.

The motherboard has the USB, PCI, fan… connectors I think I’ll need. Not sure if Asus is a good choice after what happened with the melting cpus, but I think it should be fixed, no?

Other than that I’m not really sure if the other choices are lacking or overkill. Just want the build to be good for 5 years more or less.

• Vinny_93@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

As far as component builders go, I’d say Asus is one of the best out there. I have an Asus mobo, gpu, used to have an asus liquid cooler. Pretty good stuff.

• mumei@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

About RAM, Trident Z5 NEO @ 6000Mhz seems to be the best price/performance ratio.

About GPU, I’d personally go for a Sapphire as they’re one of the historic AIB for AMD GPUs and I also dig a lot the design of the Nitro+ lol

See if you can save something on the MoBo (by getting a lower trim) and 2x2TB might be a bit overkill for gaming only (ofc it depends on your habits, but I personally don’t have games installed for more than 500-600GB). Also, you picked two PCIe 4.0 NVMEs, so maybe consider a 970 Evo Plus if it’s cheaper than the 980 Pro

About cooler, I’d prefer an old fashioned air cooler simply because it can’t leak lol

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thanks a lot for the input.

Everywhere I keep reading about the Saphire , is it Nitro+ then worth the extra 100 €? Or is the pulse (about same price as the Merc) a better choice?

Switching the RAM as you suggested, honestly I’m out of the loop with DDR5.

For the cooler I know the 7800X3D runs well with air cooling, but I live in one of the hottest regions of Spain (up to 45ºC on summer days), I think I’ll overdo just in case there with liquid cooling, unless it’s totally unnecessary. And as you say about the NVMEs, I run right now one with my main Linux distro and the other with windows. It’s easier to tinker for me that way. Will definitively look into downgrading the specs to a 970.

Also talking about 4.0, I didn’t included a 5.0 PCI ssd since I keep reading is not worth it yet. I’d chosen the Asus mobo for its 5.0 lanes hoping in the future 5.0 could add more. Too much new technologies for me.

• Chev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It is sometimes even cheaper. I have one and can recommend it too. Speaking about the Saphire Nitro+

• mumei@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Nitro+ worth it?

I guess not for that much more. A 10% increase is substantial, and I don’t think the difference in actual performance is enough to justify it; but you also said that your region can get toasty in summer, and the Nitro+ has better cooling which could help. I don’t think the Pulse will get too hot to work, but it may be something to consider!

DDR5

Those are one of the best performance to price ratio, and they’re very inexpensive for what they are (plus full support for AMD overclocking, EXPO I think it’s called); you can also go higher frequency, but prices will go up as well.

cooler

Good call then, AIO will probably perform a bit better with extreme high ambient temps

All good, a 970 Evo Plus might be cheaper so why not!

Yeah, there’s no way gaming will saturate PCIe 5.0 anytime soon, no need to pay premium for specs you won’t benefit from

Happy building and gaming!

• LinusOnLemmyWld@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

looks pretty good. the only upgrade I would suggest is a better mobo, eg I have x670e aorus master bc it comes with tons of pcie lanes for storage support, if you’d need that

edit ps the 7900xtx is a great choice for Linux, plows through any game in 4k, does 3d render and local ai

• Atemu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m switching to AMD since the 7800x3d is the new king now

Do you have any games that would be CPU bottlenecked at that resolution with your new setup and benefit from large L3 cache?

My favourite game is yes to both, so AMD’s CPUs with stacked caches are a no-brainer for me but yours might not. If they aren’t, stacked cache CPUs are a waste of money and you’d likely have the same result with a CPU half the price.

I mainly use Linux, aside from a Windows partition for that only game that needs it, so AMD also seems more logical in my opinion for my setup.

Good decision.

The motherboard appears to be quite expensive; does it have any specific special features you need? If not, I’d recommend downgrading to ~half the price.

There is no RAM in your setup?

If you need 4TB, I’d get either 4TB in one drive or two of the same drive. The 20€ won’t explode your budget and the 980 Pro is quite a bit better.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thank you for your input!

Do you have any games that would be CPU bottlenecked at that resolution with your new setup and benefit from large L3 cache?

I think yes, Planetside 2, Vermintide and Darktide, or Dwarf Fortress If I recall correctly are heavily CPU games.

About the Mobo, I’m planning to take advantage in the future to the 5.0 PCI lanes, but what’d you suggest in a lower price range?

For the Ram I had chosen Trident Z5 NEO @ 6000Mhz, as someone suggested in other comment.

And the storage, I just use each drive for each OS, one for Linux and other for windows, it’s proven to be easier for me to do so over the years. Oddly, people suggested me the contrary, to downgrade from the 980 pro to the WD. Would be better to have the Samsung one?

• Atemu@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Planetside 2

Ah, so we share a favourite game then :)

About the Mobo, I’m planning to take advantage in the future to the 5.0 PCI lanes

I don’t forsee any use-case for PCIe 5.0 until this PC would be EOL.

but what’d you suggest in a lower price range?

I’m not an authority on that.

I sorted by price and chose between the first few that seemed decent and had the better connectivity.

Oddly, people suggested me the contrary, to downgrade from the 980 pro to the WD. Would be better to have the Samsung one?

It’s been a while since I researched it but the 980 Pro was pretty much the best you could reasonably want in RND4kQD1 and that’s the most important metric for desktop use to my knowledge.