I love WMs but sometimes I wish there was also a fully featured WM (like a DE) for lazy people.

Because sometimes I can’t be bothered customizing the configs and I would just rather have a slightly more bloated setup but with faster customization and some features out of the box without to much researching.

But in my perspective, in terms of work flow WMs are just the way to compute efficiently.

Do you have any suggestions of projects that might be out there that do fill this niche?

• Prunebutt@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

KDE plasma has a tiling feature and there’s the System76 shell for Gnome. They both work, but I’ve always felt like they feel like an afterthought.

But System76 is currently working on their Cosmic Desktop, which promises cool tiling features with a desktop feel to it. Many people are quite excited for i. :)

• linuxPIPEpower
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I do not understand the mystique of applications that don’t come with a reasonable working config. I don’t want to invest hours just to try something and see if it is vaguely suitable. Anyone who wants to delete the default config can easily do so.

I guess people get pulled with sunk costs because by the time you get it working you’ve spent so much time on it.

• Scipitie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

When “reasonable” deviates on every major setting then it’s not possible to provide a sane default. Both i3 and hyprland have example configurations - I have yet to see two identical configs in the wild.

You have it the other way around: it is aimed at people for whom there can’t be a sane default because of the highly individual wants.

If you don’t intend to adjust your environment to your workflow that’s fine - there’s KDE and gnome for a reason.

• linuxPIPEpower
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It doesn’t matter if no one ends up with the same configuration. No one ends up with the same configurations on KDE or Gnome either. Having a reasonable starting place is courteous and doesn’t diminish the experience for those who wish to delete it immediately.

But I guess it does serve some emotional needs for their communities. So I’m glad it’s there for those who need it.

• Scipitie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Why do you think that not doing something has more reason than “no one sees the value”?

If you think any of those projects would benefit from it… It’s a pull request away.

• BlanK0@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Could be the case 🤔, I think if there was a more accessible WM with no tinkering in config files needed we might see a bigger adoption to the WM workflow (cause it really is more productive)

• Discover5164@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

i’ve used kde with bismuth for a long time. now it’s dying… polonium is it’s successor but still a long way ahead.

i have high hopes for cosmic

• abuttandahalf@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

For me this is Gnome with the pop shell extension. It’s so much better than plain i3 in usability and just as good with tiling. Using i3 for years made me appreciate the value of a proper modern desktop environment.

• cerement@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago
    • there’s the “add tiling features to a DE” path – Pop Shell / Cosmic DE is the best known, but KDE has some pretty decent options and there’s a couple Python scripts (at various stages of readiness) for Xfce
    • or the “add a DE to a tiling window manager” – Regolith is the best known here (basically swapping i3 for Mutter), but along those lines it’s “relatively” easy to swap out window managers in the desktop of your choice (i3 + Xfce being an easy choice)
    • BlanK0@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

If there was a regolith but based on river or dwl I would definitely do the switch, cause i do like a more dynamic tilling workflow compared to the manual tilling

• BlanK0@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Cosmic DE right? I might give it a go and see how it goes 👍

• gregorum@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Cosmic DE is currently in Alpha and not being used in Pop!_OS yet. ATM, Pop!_OS uses tweaked-out GNOME 4 with a custom tiling WM called pop-shell.

Cosmic will probably release with the next major release of Pop!_OS, which is usually just after the next major release of Ubuntu every April.

• Lettuce eat lettuce@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

In KDE Plasma, Super + T brings up a built in tiling feature. It’s super basic, but allows you to set static window snap zones on any display.

Each zone can be split horizontally or vertically, and you can adjust the zone-gaps to the exact pixel you want.

It’s not dynamic as far as I know, but for me it’s all I need.

Once you go back into regular desktop mode, you can use the zone snaps by holding shift while you drag a window. Releasing the window while holding shift will snap the window into the current snap zone it’s closest to.

• MiddledAgedGuy@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I came here to make a similar comment. In KDE just use… I could swear it was ctrl+alt+arrow key but a quick search tells me it’s meta+arrow key (currently on my phone) to tile windows if I want. Quarter or half sceen tiling works for me so I’m content with that. OP didn’t specifically say dynamic tiling so perhaps one of these methods will be sufficient for OP?

I’ll check out that tiling feature mentioned above, I wasn’t aware of it and am curious!

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nzM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Am important gotcha is:

Other window managers are only available when using X.org. These changes cannot be made for Wayland sessions yet.

• Drito@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

For me the main config difficulty is from the statusbar. Polybar, Eww, are harder to config comparing to the WM. I solved that with Tint2 bar. It can be configured from an GUI, for the basics. The only code I added to config is simple.

execp_command = xdotool getwindowfocus getwindowname

It prints the window name on the bar. It is useful for bspwm windows.

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I think most tiling WMs are more for the keyboard based workflows that are less discoverable for the casual user using someone else’s config.

• BlanK0@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

True, but it would be pretty nice to have a sort of KDE or gnome type project but WM style

• buzziebee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

As others have said, that’s basically pop shell. Cosmic will be out of alpha at some point this year, but you don’t need to wait for that to get started. I’ve been using pop os on my personal machine, and Ubuntu gnome with the pop-shell gnome extension for many years and it works great. Pretty much zero config and it is super easy to set up and get started.

• RenardDesMers@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I think gnome team said they were experimenting with tiling features. I’m looking forward to checking what they came up with.