Data centers, the things that physically store and share applications and data, require an enormous amount of energy to run. These giant storage units, responsible for 1-1.5% of global electricity consumption, have traditionally relied on renewable sources like solar and wind but it seems as though renewable energy just won’t be able to keep up with the demand required moving forward.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Building an OS to run on every conceivable hardware combination is quite different than building narrowly-focused, purpose-built code.

Linux users: It just works out of the box! OK, fine, you may have to twiddle with a load of text files (if you can find them), spend a few hours researching, stuff like that. But it just works!

Again, not comparable, but MS had stable hits with NT 4.0, 2000, XP and 7. I’d add 10 as well. No personal experience with 11, but none of my users complain. Unless you wanted a locked ecosystem like Mac, and that’s fine if you do!, Windows rocks out.

If you want a purpose-built OS, Linux clearly rules the world.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

On my Linux machine. I did nothing and all was just running out of the box without needing to touch anything.

Meanwhile on Windows 10 and 11. I spend more than an hour installing GPU and Soundcard drivers with 3 reboots. Additionally a friend told me to reinstall the GPU drivers as I have bug X and Y which seemed common on Windows.

• olbaidiablo @lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I’ve done countless installs of both windows and Linux over 20 years. Windows seems to work, until it doesn’t. Then it needs a refresh which they don’t make easy. Linux installs, with about the same number of exceptions as windows “work out of the box” with no messing with anything. When you need refresh, you simply, back up, wipe the partition and start over.