//Edit: It’s a SAS drive. thanks for the help :))

I bought two of these a long time ago, and I recently tried to connect them to a SATA III connector without luck. The size seems to match up, but the block between the two pin segments seems to block it from connecting with SATA III.

Can you help me figure out what kind of adaptor I need ? :))

• RAMOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think you’re right :)

Will I be able to use it as with a sas to sata adaptor ?

• dack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No. SAS is a different protocol and requires a different host controller. SAS controllers can typically handle SATA drives, but not the other way around.

If this is for a server or desktop machine, you could install a PCIe SAS HBA.

• SJ0@lemmy.fbxl.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Almost guaranteed that’s what it is.

A modern serial attached SCSI drive. It’s been a standard on servers for years.

• Brgor@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That’s a SAS connector, but unfortunately it won’t work with your computer without a SAS card called an HBA or Host Bus Adapter.

• Beko Pharm
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Why yes it’s a SAS drive. You can find that in some NAS models for home use too. Otherwise this is usually server land.

The thing with HBAs is that you usually only get virtual disks on the system side because the controller masks the real disks. This is not really needed any more since modern filesystems can do RAID functionality too - and even better and faster - but that does require direct access to the drive.

Many controllers can be patched though or come with a pass through (JBOD) mode out of the box, which allows you to use that kind of drive directly again. Such drives can be obtained used for cheap too so this may be a feasible option to extend the possible amount of drives for a desktop computer at home too a lot. Most controllers support 4-8 devices.

• stickmanmeyhem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s a 2.5” SAS drive. They’re usually used in servers and typically spin a lot faster than consumer SATA drives. You won’t be able to use it in your PC unless you buy an HBA card and some adapters.

• RAMOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

thank you :))

do you know why SAS HBAs are so expensive ? 🥲 is it possible to get a cheap one ?

• cmnybo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I got a used 8 port card from ebay for about $20 a few years ago. I had to flash different firmware to it using a DOS boot disk to disable raid though. It’s an obsolete card, but it’s been working fine in my NAS.

• RAMOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I’ll try to look some more then :))

• RAMOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Thanks for the help :)))

I’ll try to figure out what to do with them ^^

• SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Looks like that’s actually “SATA Express,” which has lanes for both PCI and SATA - if you look at the other side of the connector (which you should have already shared!) you’ll see even more contacts. You can get either a PCI or SATA adapter in order to use the drive.

Edit: Probably SAS as others said. It uses the exact same connector, which is why I made that guess.

• dankm@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

That looks like one of the notebook SATA variants. It’s SATA & power combined in one connector, and passive adapters used to be readily available.