• 0 Posts
  • 3 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 27th, 2023

help-circle

1. Lemmy still has the same inherent drawbacks of Reddit, but now the mods have complete power with no admin oversight whatsoever.

2. The moderators of a community have no right to kill it. If people wish to leave for Lemmy, I welcome it. if the other sub died naturally, I’d migrate over here myself (the same way I migrated to Reddit gradually through dozens of forums dying naturally)

Forcefully trying to kill the sub serves no purpose other than to centralize piracy knowledge, benefit Reddits IPO by getting rid of a hated subreddit, and allow more mod censorship. Also, Lemmy isn’t indexed by google, so you’re fully reliant on the inbuilt search unlike Reddit. (which makes Lemmy less useful for finding specific content)

1. Lemmy is still in it’s early stages. I’m a part of 1k+ communities on Reddit and fewer than half have a prescence on Lemmy or an equivalent.

2. Dearth of NSFW content. (I mean really, it’s kinda sad. Even twitter has more regularly posted nsfw than Lemmy.)

3. UI and UX are garbage. I’ve had more 503s on Lemmy the past week than Reddit the past 8 years. The new reddit app looks & feels better than any available android app for Lemmy. (and honestly on desktop too)

4. Why ‘move’ ?

If the mods don’t want to moderate the old sub, then pass the torch.

Considering piracy’s focus on decentralization, y’all are oddly supportive of centralizing your content on a Lemmy instance hosted by one guy.

Which brings me to:

1. The person who hosts the Lemmy instance can edit the database directly just like Spez can with Reddit. You’re trading centralized power around admins for centralized power around the server host. So essentially just downgrading to the old forum days… (you know, the stuff Reddit replaced in large part.)

I’m sure this will get downvoted to hell, but these are a few reasons why the Reddit community shouldn’t be killed.