• Hucklebee
      link
      fedilink
      4216 days ago

An Inuit is seeing the painting as a cat/tiger in the snow. The other two see it as a tiger on a white background.

• Hucklebee
            link
            fedilink
            715 days ago

Ah, welp, I guess I didn’t get the the comic either then. Didn’t know about the Garfield thing.

• @alyth@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              15 days ago

The penny has dropped. The original comic is just a white canvas. Someone edited Garfield in.

• pruwyben
                link
                414 days ago

That makes a lot more sense!

• Hucklebee
                link
                fedilink
                415 days ago

Haha thank you!

How to turn an average comic into something greater. Not because the new version was better (it is worse), but because of the confusion and discussion it sparked 😜

• @Sombyr@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          1016 days ago

Well it is Heathcliff. I’m not sure if I’m too autistic to know if everyone was avoiding pointing that out or if people really didn’t know.

• Hucklebee
            link
            fedilink
            815 days ago

Never heard of Heathcliff, and after googling I still didn’t recognize it. Maybe an American thing?

Looking at some other comments, was there some beaf with Heathcliff and Garfield or something?

• @brsrklf@jlai.lu
              link
              fedilink
              415 days ago

From France, I’ve been barely exposed to Heathcliff… Except for a random animated series from the 80s starring him and a bunch of other OC cats. And I wouldn’t have recognized the name later, because they’d changed it for the French localization (they called him “Isidore”).

I’ve only learned about Heathcliff (and the fact the cartoon was supposed to be partly based on him) when I watched a Quinton Reviews video on youtube. The whole video was based on the joke that Quinton was basically an authority on Garfield material at that point and he reviewed Heathcliff as “Garfield but worse” (maybe).