“Tesla Is Reportedly Revoking Internship Offers to College Students Weeks Before Their Start Dates: ‘I Spent Thousands On Housing’”

• Lichtblitz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Teslas were the “best”, as in the only option for what they did. They were never the “best”, as in better than existing products for what they did.

Being first to market for such a long time was an incredible feat and it speaks volumes that their position isn’t much, much stronger at the end of it.

• johnyma22@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I agree w/ the “best” argument but I don’t agree with the “first to market” argument… There were a notable amount of electric cars in the UK before Tesla became a thing. Perhaps things in .de are different…

I did notice in Berlin just a few weeks ago that you guys don’t really seem to be pushing for clean air zones in major cities unlike a lot of the UK which given your progressive population came as a surprise to me.

• Lichtblitz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Sure, there were electric cars. But if I remember correctly, Tesla was the first to deliver the whole next-gen package with an every day, everywhere car, plus charging stations plus the whole automation. If you wanted that, there was no way around Tesla for quite a while.

• johnyma22@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

RE “next-gen” “every day” “everywhere car” I can’t comment because they don’t really make a quantifiable point.

RE Charging: In the UK we had charge at home infrasatructure w/ .gov compensation and charging points at businesses/supermarkets/petrol stations way before a specific branded Supercharger infrastructure started arriving.

RE “whole automation”: What do you mean? What point of Tesla is more automated than an Audi or BMW for a UK daily commute? Autopilot simply doesn’t work for the vast majority of UK commutes and has been shown to be a poorly operating application with a potential incoming ban.

I think it’s important not to rewrite history to fit a narrative.