• @Swedneck
    link
    613 days ago

you know sometimes i forget that pizza chains exist in other countries, here in sweden (and i think generally the nordics) they simply are not a thing because middle eastern immigrants have outcompeted them from the start.

From a blogpost i found there are aparently some 70-ish pizzerias per person in NYC, whereas there are 400+ per person in sweden. It’s literally more likely to find a pizzeria in a small village than it is to find a grocery store, and theyr are ALL staffed by people from turkey/syria who are very likely to be family or at least know of each other. They also always serve other stuff like kebab or schnitzel.

It’s honestly such a fascinating phenomenon and i’m sad the rest of the world doesn’t effectively have pizza as a human right.

• @candybrie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      13 days ago

From a blogpost i found there are aparently some 70-ish pizzerias per person in NYC, whereas there are 400+ per person in sweden

There are more pizzerias than people? Or is it 70 people to each pizzeria in NYC and 400 people to each in Sweden? Or like 70 pizzerias to 1000 people?

• @Takumidesh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        513 days ago

You go to new York and just immediately get bombarded with pizza, when you get off the plane they put a pizza around your neck.

• @candybrie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          112 days ago

Sure, but more pizza places than people doesn’t seem feasible. It would require something like everyone in NYC works multiple pizzerias by themselves.

• @Swedneck
        link
        311 days ago

looked up the blogpost again and it’s per million people

• @olutukko@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      13 days ago

we have kotipizza in finland. it’s shit. but it’s kinda allright sometimes. I always go to the little places. I even formed a sort of relationahip with one place because I used to go there so often I didn’t have to order to get just what I wanted. those little chain free places are special

• @mlc894@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      111 days ago

lol, I wonder how they staff “70-ish pizzerias per person”. That’s one hell of a short-staffed environment! 1/70th of an employee per shop!