• @Swedneck
    link
    English
    112 days ago

i’m not sure why you think the uncertainty principle is a “gotcha”, it specifically states that you can’t know both the position and momentum of a particle and thus explicitly contradicts your claim that we’d know everything about them because we know their mass.

I can’t be arsed to write out a whole scientific paper here so i’ll just link to the probability cloud model of orbitals and hope you can make sense of that.

• @gasgiant@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 days ago

You specifically said “electrons do not orbit with any kind of movement”

So by your own argument they’re not moving. We know the mass. So if we find one by your logic we know everything about it.

Yes that is the probability cloud model well done.

However my point again. You seem to think saying this renders the simile of planetary orbit obsolete. It doesn’t it’s a simile. It’s a way of explaining something that doesn’t have to exactly explain it.

If someone said “that fell on my head like a ton of bricks” would you go and examine the object and check it was exactly a ton of bricks or that it exactly exhibited the properties of a ton of bricks?

Or perhaps would you understand something from that about what had happened to them.

You may find this useful. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simile