• @Swedneck
    link
    1611 days ago

what people want is the internals of a steam deck but beefed up and easier to open up

• Cethin
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1511 days ago

So a Linux computer that looks like a console? I can see how it’d sell, but it’s already available to anyone who isn’t oblivious. You can even install the SteamOS if you want that particular flavor of Arch.

• @Swedneck
        link
        2311 days ago

the point is that you don’t have to fiddle with anything, you can trust the product sold by valve to be good, you have everything preinstalled and configured, and because thousands and thousands of people have the same device it’s easy for developers to target it.

• VindictiveJudge
          link
          fedilink
          English
          911 days ago

And with the way Xbox has been going, a solid Steam Machine could theoretically replace it in the market. Sure, your old discs wouldn’t work, but it would have all the Microsoft exclusives anyway. Even Sony exclusives are making it to Steam now.

• @Swedneck
            link
            111 days ago

have old xbox discs really not been cracked? would feel very odd if people hadn’t figured out how to run them from regular old CD readers and emulators…

• VindictiveJudge
              link
              fedilink
              English
              211 days ago

Original Xbox, probably. 360 emulation is still pretty rough. I doubt anyone has a functioning One emulator and definitely not a Series X emulator. Not much interest since almost all of it is on Windows anyway. The only reason I’ve been watching 360 emulation is for Fable 2.

Also, it’s fairly unlikely that Valve would include an optical drive unless they want to license blu ray stuff from Sony.

• 0x1C3B00DA
        link
        fedilink
        1711 days ago

that looks like a console

Not just looks, but provides the UX of a console. So you buy it, plug it up, log in, and immediately start playing. Even consoles don’t provide that streamlined UX anymore, but ppl want all the benefits console used to provide with all the benefits PC gaming provides now. But the key part is the PC benefits don’t get in the way of the ease of it. You don’t have to install or administer a linux distro, you don’t have to twiddle settings for every game (unless you want to), etc

• @nul9o9@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          11 days ago

That’s the big thing. After my postive experience with the Steam Deck, I switched my gaming PC to Linux. There were settings I had to tinker with to get my games running as optimally as they would on the deck, that I assume are set by default on the SteamOS.

• Cethin
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 days ago

I have no idea. I assumed they did, but I’m not actually sure.

• @vividspecter@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            211 days ago

I don’t think they have yet, which is a bit of a sore point. Third party alternatives like Bazzite may do the job, though.

• @zalgotext@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        511 days ago

an evo212 cooler

So I only bring this up because I had my world shattered like 3 months ago when I built a new PC - the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler is really expensive these days, like, $80-$90 (there are some models that use the same name but have different heat pipe configurations that drop down into the $50-$60 range, but aren’t the ol tried and true 212 that we all bought in the 2010s), and a complete ripoff, and it’s really sad.

You can get some Noctua coolers for a few more bucks, or pay a third of that price for a Peerless Assassin, or pay about half again that price for something from ID-cooling, all for similar or better performance to the 212. It’s no longer the automatic choice it once was. The king has been dethroned.

• @SynopsisTantilize@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          26 days ago

Dude what!? I bought my 212 for like 35 bucks back in 2014. As far as I know my nephew is still rocking that setup every day since 2019. That’s wild they’re selling them for 80ish…smh my head.

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 days ago

An Xbox Series S (or even X) but not locked down and able to run Steam games would be great. But that’s the kind of price you’d be looking for. Price of a PS5 would be the absolute maximum. Any higher, and mainstream people won’t be interested because they can just buy a PS5 for that.

I think it’s achievable at scale (millions of units like the PS5), but it’d be a huge gamble.

• Echo Dot
        link
        fedilink
        011 days ago

So a PC in a cool case?

The problem with going proprietary is that then, well, it’s proprietary. So either they use off the shelf components in which case it’s basically a PC, or they use custom stuff which might improve performance depending on what they do, but will make it difficult to repair and upgrade. Then you rely on Valve producing hardware components, and they’re not really a hardware company, although in fairness they’re also not doing badly at it.

• @Pheonixdown@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          711 days ago

It’s more about the hardware/firmware/software uniformity and reliability for some people. My friend is in this camp, he doesn’t want to need to manage a PC, he just wants a box he can reliably turn on and use.

• @BeardedGingerWonder@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 days ago

And to expand a little on your point, uniformity means devs can target specific optimizations/performance. I.e. this will run like this on a Steam medium system.

• Schadrach
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 days ago

Internally, yes, basically a PC in a smallish form factor case.

If you’re aiming at the console crowd, upgrades and end-user repairs aren’t a primary concern. But you’re thinking of it like a desktop aimed at the desktop market where those things are more important, and you could hypothetically just do the same thing on the PC you already have, so what’s the point?

For a console the high priority items are being quiet, able to fit in most TV stands and the like without standing out too much, and having the smoothest possible UX - if it’s more involved than unpacking it, plugging it into power, plugging it into the TV, connecting a controller, turning it on and logging into an account to go from sitting in a box on the floor to ready to play (or at least install) a game then you’ve already lost. If installing a game is more complicated than clicking the install button once and waiting for the process to finish, you’ve already lost. If you are required to fiddle with drivers, settings, tweaks or config files to be able to play, you’ve already lost. If you are required to think about package managers, libraries, or any kind of usual PC management stuff, you’ve already lost.

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 days ago

Not really a PC is it? You can’t even buy an APU of the spec in a PS5/XSX and you certainly can’t run it all from one set of unified GDDR6 (and I know people say you can’t run a CPU from that, but you demonstrably can run it well enough to run modern games).

Even just buying a GPU on the level of a PS5 (and that’s somewhere on the level of a RX 6700) is going to take nearly all your budget, leaving you maybe £100 to build the rest of the PC.

I don’t think it’s an impossible problem to solve, but you can’t do it if you’re selling a couple of thousand units.

• @Toribor@corndog.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 days ago

Bazzite is basically this with bring-your-own hardware. A first party Valve version doesn’t make as much sense compared to a handheld like the Steam Deck but it would be pretty cool.