I’m struggling to find the easiest solution to connect a set of active speakers that have BT/Optical (Toslink)/Coax. I currently use a tablet to stream Deezer via BT, but I want to be able to use them in Music Assistant. I tried Bubblepnp on the tablet, but it’s too slow for that, it wasn’t reliable.

I don’t want to spend 100s of dollars on e.g. Sonos stuff. I see Squeezelite as a good option, but I’m unsure how to connect an SPDIF speaker. The docs say you can connect to one of the pins. Do I just cut the plug of an SPDIF cable and then connect to it?

I don’t have a 3D printer, ideally I want a box around it.

Ideally there’s an out-of-the-box solution. Any tips or help appreciated.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Squeezelite with a USB spdif out might work? (I’m unsure myself, I have my squeeze server able to connect to my casting devices)

Bonus: a USB spdif out isn’t pricey says a very quick search

Edit: I’m dumb. https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32?tab=readme-ov-file#spdif

So they suggest either a specialized chip, which will likely need more hardware, or this little circuit. (See link) I would say if you had an extra coax cable, to cut an end and solder away, but that’s assuming a lot.

Second edit: they can connect to Bluetooth as well.

• sylverstream@lemmy.nzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Thanks mate, much appreciated. That’s what I mean, it’s complicated… I have no idea what extra hardware I’d need. I just want to connect it via Coaxial and the only thing I can find is very complicated docs like you found :)

BT is not an option as I’d like to keep using the tablet directly to BT in case MA/HA is down.