• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m a really bad person to ask that. I’ve never bought a car (and I’m kind of old) newer than 10 years old and with one exception, I’ve never spent over $500 in a year on any maintenance or repairs. About 6 of those vehicles were sports cars. Most cars I buy I’ll keep a few years and then sale for 0 loss. I’m fully aware I’m the exception to the rule, but not enough to offset the EV cost. Older used EVs will be worth so much less than other cars. People will quickly learn that buying an old EV means they’ll have to tack on an extra $15k for a battery.

• enbyecho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Good for you that you are recycling old cars. I do the same - our 2nd car is a 1993 Corolla with 275k on it. Drives fine. For you an EV doesn’t make sense and that’s just fine. But:

People will quickly learn that buying an old EV means they’ll have to tack on an extra $15k for a battery.

This is the sort of crap people spew when they can’t be bothered to research stuff and just use “facts” they “heard”. They generalize and round way up and now these are the new “facts”. I have to imagine you can do better.

1. Not all batteries are $15k - far from it. Many are $6-7k Given that maintenance and TCO at that point are extremely low, that’s not bad over the lifetime of a car. Ever had to replace an engine? Easily in the same range for some cars.
      2. It’s not a given that an “old” EV needs a new battery. Lifespans are easily 10 years or more and lose range at about 1-2% per year or 10% every 200,000 miles.
      3. Battery costs have plummeted and continue to fall.
      • ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Most are not six or $7k. In fact very few are. Just in this thread is a person who had to spend $9k to replace the battery on their 2017 Leaf. A subcompact with a meager 100 mile range, if it isn’t too cold outside.

• enbyecho@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

So it’s not $15k. Glad we established that.

100 miles is a lot for most people. Do you drive more than that in a day?

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Lol. Nah, bro. It’s $15k for an EV that can replace the average persons ice. A Nissan Leaf can’t do that.