• MachineFab812
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I am absolutely not talking about “free stuff”. They have to prove they have a job lined-up to get a work Visa; Proof they also have housing lined up and the ability to buy groceries should also be a part of that, and on the employer. It’s the would-be employer who is claiming to “need” them, after all.

I agree citizenship should be guaranteed after a set period of time, but I’ll settle for them not breaking the law during that time. There are plenty of legal ways to support onesself and not “be a burden to society” outside of normal employment.

The path to citizenship for people already here should be more straight-forward/much the same as well. I would argue that its harder to sneak into this country than to enter it legally. Seems to me that those people want it more, and have demonstrated they are willing to endure hardship to get here. “Free stuff” for them? Not available legally already, but they shouldn’t be criminalized just for being here and needing food and/or a place to stay. No one chooses to stay in a shelter “to scam the system”.