• Tartas1995
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

While I am strongly against a database of pregnant women, especially in regards of the obvious purpose of it.

I am not sure if I would call it cognitive dissonance… Fascistic? Sure.

The idea behind the tracking of pregnancy is the protection of the individual “Child” and “future member of the society” against “overreaching authoritarian forces” which could lead to the death of said “member”. And the threat to the “child” is not the government but rather the mother and the supporting force would be the government. So placing the information to control into the hands of the government is an obvious choice.

In the case of gun ownership, the government is the threat for which the guns exist. The government is the “overreaching authoritarian force” and the gun owner is the “member”. The government isn’t the ally and therefore can’t be trusted with such a list.

Again I am not agreeing them these people. I just don’t think that is cognitive dissonance. I think a better example would the desire for a small government and a database of pregnant women to spy on.

Again imo idiots but not hypocrites for that (specifically… Because they are, just not for that)

• mydude@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

The idea behind the tracking of pregnancy is the protection of the individual “Child” and “future member of the society” against “overreaching authoritarian forces” which could lead to the death of said “member”. And the threat to the “child” is not the government but rather the mother and the supporting force would be the government. So placing the information to control into the hands of the government is an obvious choice.

I,m not sure I follow here, but I don’t think the government is trustworthy with holding this information, wether it was given by the mother “freely” or not. The government has proven over and over it is not to be trusted with such personal data. If a complication or a situation change arises and the mother has to end her pregnancy. It will be used for punishment.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Oh I agree but I am strictly talking from the perspective of the idiots who would want such a list.

They want the government to police those poor women in order to “protect” the “child”, so the government can be “trusted” from their pov. And they want the government to police the women because from their pov, the mother is a danger to the “child”.

In the case of the guns, their opinion is that the guns will protect them against the government and so you don’t want them to have that list.