• Semperverus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

I’m honestly fine with it.

Saying “we need a better system” without understanding why we have the current system we do is not helpful.

I work with hosting services and resource constraints every day at work.

Someone like Google can give you instantaneous updates because they have billions of dollars and can host data farms across the globe for billions of users to access whenever they feel like it.

OpenStreetMaps likely doesn’t have this kind of funding and gets by on what they have. They are running fine now on the small amount of users they have, but if the usage suddenly 10x’d or 100x’d overnight from a popular app like Organic Maps switching to realtime downloads straight from the tap, the servers would ignite (not literally, I hope).

What I would like you to do is draft up a proposal for how to overcome the financial and technical hurdles needed to allow a much larger userbase to constantly hit the OSM service. This would be a much better use of your time. Once you’re done, submit it to the Organic Maps and OpenStreetMaps staff to try to get it moving forward, or at least talked about.