• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

I can’t understand why Americans love industrialized cheese so much. It’s horribly, full of salt. Unbearable!

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      25 days ago

I can’t understand how non-Americans have gone their entire lives without witnessing macaroni and cheese that exists outside of Kraft.

• Xanis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        25 days ago

There is a place nearby where you can buy 5 boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese for $5. Used to be a box for $.50-75.

When your next stubbed toe could require you to sell an organ, cheap Kraft seems perfect.

• Hootz@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

2010 Honey look, KDs on sale it’s $.50 a box 2019 Honey look, KDs on sale it’s $.50 a box 2024 Honey look, KDs on sale it’s $1.75 a box

• luckystarr@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        25 days ago

Maccaroni and cheese were really meant to be Käsespätzle but for some reason didn’t.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                24 days ago

If it’s the most popular one then it makes sense others would of course associate you with that one.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  24 days ago

The most popular boxed mac n cheese, again boxed mac n cheese is not the only kind to exist.

That would be like associating all Ramen with ‘Top Ramen’. Does that put in perspective how wrong* what you’re suggesting is?

*Edit: I’m trying to be nicer.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    24 days ago

The most popular boxed mac n cheese, again boxed mac n cheese is not the only kind to exist.

So are the other forms more popular or is boxed the one people make more often?

That would be like associating all Ramen with ‘Top Ramen’.

So, exactly what people do…? lol. If it’s by and far the most popular option then of course people are going to associate the generic term with that.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Make yourself some home made Mac and Cheese someday. Then make sure to burn the recipe so you can save yourself from that daily temptation.

Edit to add, whatever you do. Don’t add chili. Real ChiliMac is a level 5 paranormal entity that will haunt you the rest of your life.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

A good macaroni cheese is built from a roux, and uses several cheeses to get that flavour.

With that being said, I don’t get why Americans lose cheese so much. It’s fine, I guess? I would much prefer most other pasta sauces over cheese, because cheese alone is just a bit bland.

• NauticalNoodle@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

don’t worry, you can still melt some cheese on top of the “other pasta sauces” to get the best of both worlds.

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

It’s like Oreos. I think it’s things that are cultural. You probably can’t get into it once your taste has already been shaped. But if you grew up with it, it’s different. We probably all have such things at home. Although typically not from the horrifying US big food conglomerates, which maybe makes them a bit less atrocious.