• kirk781
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

I think the greatest hindrance to /e/ is the fact that so few devices are supported. The article lists Fairphone as a supported device but that doesn’t retail in my country. Most Chinese OEMs (that form the bulk in my nation) won’t be supported by it. I have had a Nokia and a Samsung but even those two models are nope. One would need to go with the express purpose of installing alternative OS’s and then purchase supported phones like Pixel probably, if they wanna indulge in this. But normal people aren’t gonna do this. They are going to purchase the phone that fits the price vs performance ratio for them rather than alternative OS criterion.

• grid11@lemy.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

so few devices are supported >?<

I don’t agree with that, take a look at this:

Officially supported devices and the list of unofficial /e/ builds part1 and part2 (those might not be working as good as official builds)

• kirk781
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        24 days ago

It officially supports 250 variants including many going over a decade back. If one were to include all smartphone models/variants released during the previous decade, it won’t even hit the 10 % mark.

• Grangle1@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

I’ve brought it up before with /e/, that because it’s based in Europe it tends to focus on the European market, IMO too much so. Lots of Europe-exclusive phones supported, barely any US-available phones that support tech like 5G (which is not available in Europe). If you want 5G in the US, you’re pretty much stuck with the Pixel or the Fairphone, and like you said, you also won’t find the Fairphone in a US store (though you can order one from /e/'s website in the US). While I did buy a Murena One (which is a cheap Chinese OEM) in the short time they were selling them in the US market on their website a couple years ago and I’m using it now, good luck finding a US carrier that will support it (T-Mobile was the only one that would) or a repair shop that will touch it if it breaks. I’ve dropped it a couple times and have a large area of dead pixels on the bottom of the screen, but nobody can get a replacement screen for it.