23 days ago

Nobody complains about bats, bats are awesome and hard to notice anyway

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

that last bit tells me you’re either old or have hearing damage: we have some bats around me and despite never once seeing them it’s plainly obvious to me that they exist thanks to their shrill squeaky calls in the twilight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4eqkaHkTAI

• norbert@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 days ago

Linking to a guy using an expensive ultrasonic mic to hear bats doesn’t really support youe statement that you’re hearing bats around you despite never seeing them. Maybe you have hearing damage?

• Erasmus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

I live in an HOA (obligatory Fuck them)

They put up numerous bat boxes on poles around the common wooded area and a large retention pond right about the time Covid started.

Main reason is it’s free insect killers. We have tons of pests anyway being so close to a wooded area and a lake + the retention pond we have and the added bats help to clear some of them out.

As for the noise, no you really don’t hear them here. All the frogs are the loudest things heard of a night.

• Dashi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

Sitting out on my deck listening to the frogs/nature at night. I still hear the bats when they are within 20ft. It isn’t loud but you hear them. They are a pleasant addition to the symphony that goes on at night.

Now… fuck pheasants at night they are loud and when you don’t know what the sound is its creepy

• saigot@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Some species of bats spend more time in the upper ranges that no human can hear than others.

The spotted bat for instance, is found on west coast if North America and mostly calls at 11khz well within even older human hearing while other bats operate entirely outside human hearing.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Interesting. Probably the species around where I live don’t make much noise, nobody else hears them here

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

maybe swedish ones are just constantly death metal growling