I want to ungoogle myself as much as possible, but I’ve found that Google Maps is by far the best dataset for maps. I can search ‘fast food’ and it’ll pull up anything related to that near me. I’ve tried things like OrganicMaps, and while it is blazing fast and very private in comparison to Google Maps, it unfortunately does not have the best information.

Are there any apps that are kind of like a proxy/nitter like frontend for Google Maps and it respects privacy? Are there any ways to just straight up rip data from Google Maps and pull it into another app?

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

OSM data is generally on par or better than Google Maps data. The thing that’s lacking is the search engine.

• Deckweiss@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

Situations in which I quickly need a reliable source of POI are not compatible with me taking the time to search for them in person and then add them to the maps systen I am trying to use right now.

So usually when I need something quick right now, I can not trust OSM.

When I am on a relaxed walk in the neighbourhood, I do add stuff and that makes it a bit better for everybody. But then, I obviously don’t ever need to search for those.

• Mannivu@feddit.it
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            15 days ago

I understand what you mean and I agree that in those cases GMaps is more useful. But then, if no one adds anything OSM database will always be empty. So, if you don’t find something, use GMaps, that’s fine. But then, what you were looking for should be added to OSM (after real-life checks, since GMaps cannot be used as a source) to help future users.

• Deckweiss@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              15 days ago

since GMaps cannot be used as a source

Dammn, you mean there is no “Church of big mommy milkers” in the next city?