• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

they should be the loud ones though, i really struggle to see how you can be a good christian in america without having john brown as a role model.

like, the Swedish Church (closest we have to a state religion) is actively and aggressively pro-lgbt, if anyone tries to spread hate they smack them with a bible and shut that shit down fast.

Sensible religious people don’t have to sit in the background doing charity work like a sailor futilely scooping water out of a leaky boat, they can speak up and push back against what can be rightfully classed as blasphemy that spreads hate and injustice.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I was in Salem, MA for Halloween and there were more than a couple assholes preaching hellfire and brimstone to anyone celebrating the “evil” holiday.

My first thought was to dress up like Jesus and carry a sign that says “My Dad thinks this guy is an asshole.” I’ve got the hair and beard to pull it off.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I’m not saying the open and affirming churches don’t fight for causes and social justice.

I’m just saying that they’re not the ones running governments and controlling rural populations. Those people don’t want to hear it. It’s just like how they abandoned Fox News for Newsmax and OAN when Fox called the election for Biden. To them, religion is a source of validation, not something to emulate or follow. They don’t want to be challenged.

There was an article a while back about a pastor who said someone in his congregation argued with him about something he said in his sermon, which had been Christ’s own words. The congregant said, “That’s not Christian, it’s too weak.” Or something to that effect.