• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

Google allows that though or do they mean access of Google Play via 3rd party apps?

Not that I am saying it might not be necessary to include Google from the start, sets a good precedence and prevents a future where they might go the Apple route.

Just hope both Google and Apple won’t restrict opening up to Japanese market only. But who am I kidding, they will.

• petrescatraian@libranet.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

I think this means allowing the listing of third party app stores inside the Google Play Store - so you could search for F-Droid in Google Play for example instead of downloading and installing the .apk manually.

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

Downloading F-Droid from Google Play kind of defeats the purpose of F-Droid.

• unexposedhazard
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

You can still verify the install even if it went through the play store no? Or are apps on the playstore not signed by the developer?

• TWeaK@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            12 days ago

You’re still putting a measure of trust into Google with that, rather than just trusting F-Droid.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              12 days ago

You’re still putting complete trust into Google by using any android that isn’t thoroughly de-googled, built from scratch, and installed on a jailbroken phone. They’re integrated on the OS level they can do whatever they want.

• NoIWontPickAName@kbin.earth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

I don’t like that, if I am going through the play store, I only want things that have gone through googles vetting process, flawed though it may be.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 days ago

F-Droid could go through it, the thing that is prohibited is for Google to bar them just because they are a competitor.

• themurphy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

If they didn’t open up to anyone else when EU implemented it back in March/April, they won’t do it now.