“I Ain’t Reading All That; Free Palestine”

The meme enrages Israel supporters because Israel apologia depends on mountains of verbiage to spin obvious atrocities as reasonable and appropriate. At some point the kids noticed this was happening, and started dismissing all the narratives.

…Without mountains of narrative, all you’ve got is a nonstop deluge of raw video footage depicting the blatant genocidal criminality of Israel. No narrative overlay is required atop a video of a baby beheaded by Israeli military explosives. It stands on its own. You’d only need narrative to explain why the footage of the headless baby doesn’t say bad things about the side that’s dropping the bombs.

…Manipulators understand that they can use narrative to promote material agendas if they can get people to believe those narratives, and it enrages them when people handwave away the narrative and stick solely with the raw data of material reality. If you’ve based your life around trading empty narrative fluff for real material resources and gains, having your narratives dismissed can feel like holding a huge pile of currency that suddenly got devalued to zero. Of course the manipulators would be upset about this.

• xxd
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 days ago

I generally agree with what you wrote, but just saying “I ain’t reading all that, free Palestine” is a bad way to phrase it. Only a few days ago, someone posted this which boils down to the same phrasing, but arrives at the conclusion “trump 2024!”. Saying something like “this is obviously a manipulative and false narrative” would be way better imho.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 days ago

Bruh

There’s a difference between that being their actual train of thinking, and just not arguing with someone who’s pro genocide.

Like, I run across a lot of accounts. And give them a shot to talk in good faith.

But there’s people out there who want nothing else but to argue. They have no logical consistency and will just keep saying things, and after you point out why they’re wrong, drop it and pick a new one.

It gets fucking exhausting, and isn’t ever going to be productive.

So I just started blocking them and it’s made Lemmy so much better.

There’s a very good chance the person in the screenshot is at the same point. They’re just tired of people defending genocide, they know facts and logic won’t get them to stop, and interacting with someone would just be a waste of time.

So…

TLDR,FP

• xxd
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 days ago

Yeah, I agree with all of that and that’s all valid! And I know that it’s not their actual train of thinking, I just think that this leaves on a weak argument and that just feels kind of… defeating, you know? I’m all for blocking fact and logic-resistant people, I just really don’t want to give them the feeling that they’ve won the discussion. But I guess you’re right and with people like these you just can’t end on a high note.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 days ago

I just really don’t want to give them the feeling that they’ve won the discussion

If it was reddit where possibly millions of people would see a chain of comments, sure, it would matter disproving them.

But Lemmy is still small enough it doesn’t really matter, but there’s still enough people someone else can handle it. I’d rather spend my time genuinely trying to help someone understand something than waste it on people who just wants a slap fight.

Fair warning though, once they realize you never reply or down vote their comments, they usually won’t take it well. You’ll get a lot of reports and more than a few of them started tagging me in their comments so I’d still see their insults.

I’m not sure if they quit because they move on to someone else, or if reporting the harassment stops them, but I’ve never had one do it for longer than a month after blocking them.

• sub_ubi@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      12 days ago

It’s not a debate strategy only available to one side, it’s a statement.

It’s what you tell a flat earther who demands you watch a 2 hour video. You quit engaging because their arguments are very, very stupid.

• bl_r@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 days ago

I don’t like the logic that “you cant say this because it is a similarly structured statement to something someone bad said”

Also “i aint reading all of that; free palestine” is a lot better since it isn’t like you are gonna convince any zionists to change sides with logic, since they don’t care about logic or truth. They care about the narrative and the stories they have.

As someone who routinely gets drunk and argues with zionists, I’ve noticed that most people nowadays are entrenched with their position on the genocide. And like arguments I’ve had with fascists in the past, you aren’t gonna be able to actually argue with them because they have 100 propaganda points drip fed from both American liberal and conservative media, and Israeli press, ready to pull out at once.

When you get dog piled, or someone cites 30 propaganda news pieces, you shouldn’t engage, its a waste of time. “I aint reading that; free palestine” is probably the best thing to say