• lichtmetzger
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 days ago

I met a girl in art school and lost track of her for a few years. During the pandemic we found each other again. He was trans now, identified as a male and had massive anxiety and body-image related problems.

It was so bad, that he stayed at home for weeks, only ordered food and basic needs online and got an instant panic attack when leaving the house.

I dragged him out to various events and spent time with him as much as possible for almost two years. It helped him get back on his feet.

As soon as he was able to handle his life without my help again and met another guy, he ghosted me.

That hurt a lot, but I would do it again. I still remember visiting him one day and he just started cutting into his arm in front of me because of his mental issues, it was really brutal. I would’ve felt like an absolute asshole if I left right then and there, even if the outcome wasn’t positive for me in the end.

I hope he’s doing well now and maybe one day realizes that he shouldn’t have treated me the way he did. I don’t want gratitude, but an apology would be nice.

• MudSkipperKisser@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 days ago

I think once he got back on his feet you probably reminded him (through no fault of your own obviously) of that horrible painful time in his life and it may have just been too unbearable to be around you. And he may not have even made that as a conscious decision. Still it’s completely unfair to you and you didn’t deserve that. Your value in being a good person in this world is appreciated, at least by an internet stranger :)

• proudblond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

Maybe he had feelings for you and felt he needed to make a clean cut? Not that that is an excuse, really.