• Ibuthyr
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Man, same here. In Germany, all we did was read scripts for drama plays. There’s nothing more boring. We read only one enjoyable book, which was Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451.

Only recently have I started enjoying books again and it started with the Hyperion Cantos. I also read a shit ton of books with my little daughter, ranging from Toto the Ninja cat, over Stitch head and Amelia Fang to Harry Potter and Roald Dahl classics. It’s a lot of fun, especially since I get to do all of the voices. Sometimes we laugh so hard, it’s difficult for her to fall asleep :)

• LwL@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I recall two enjoyable books, both by Morton Rhue, being boot camp and the wave (and one that I liked but most people didn’t, kafka’s metamorphosis. Sure didn’t like having to interpret that though).

At least early on they tried making us read enjoyable books, as in modern books aimed at teenagers, they just… weren’t very good.

I think the peak of unenjoyment for me was Das Parfüm, which is technically somewhat modern. I tried reading it and was so bored I just couldn’t continue, ended up reading a synopsis somewhere and pretended to know what i was talking about.

At least it never killed reading for me because by the time school made me read books I was already reading fantasy novels in my free time anyway.