• blackris
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

That doesn’t work. Either there is physical proof or there is none. Afaik the latter is correct.

• Baahb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

Ehhhhhh, you probably aren’t trying to be technical, but it’s worth noting that circumstancial evidence is definitely a thing; is evidence that suggests but doesn’t definitively state. As mentioned in this tread, Nero calls out pilate for executing Jesus. There’s also the often overlooked circumstancial evidence that there’s a whole ass religion to the guy, which sure there are other religions etc etc, but most of them don’t have a semi Devine being that you can point to specific dates and times…

I will continue on, I’m an atheist, so I’m not arguing for Christianity, so here’s obligatory circumstancial evidence against historical J.

Wasn’t a census when he was supposed to be born. No written accounts of Herod executing every baby boy in Judea. Etc etc lmgtfy if you need it

• uienia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

The Nero reference you are mentioning was written by Tacitus over a century after he was supposed to have lived. The fact of the matter js that there is no contemporary primary rvidence of hus exisrence.

• Baahb@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 days ago

Frankly, I have no primary evidence of your existence. I could be arguing with a bot right now and it wouldn’t be unbelievable. Primary evidence is a motherfucker, the guy we are talking about was probably illiterate, talking to more people who were illiterate, what kind of primary evidence could there be? Even if we had a body, could we really point to it and say with any real confidence that it was Jesus or just some other person that was crucified?

Honestly ask yourself, what would you accept as primary evidence?