The Flatpak is already packaged and works well. It just needs to be maintained from a person that joins the Inkscape community.

This would allow further improvements like Portal support and making the app official on Flathub.

• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

I’d say flatpak isn’t the future because it’s already here and seems to be universally accepted as the cross-distro package manager.

I do like how the Nix package manager handles dependencies, but it’s not suitable for app developers packaging their own apps because of its complexity.

If a better flatpak comes around I’d use it too, but at least for graphical apps I don’t know what it’d have to do to be better. In my opinion, flatpak is a prime example of good enough, but not perfect and I’d be surprised if there was a different tool with the same momentum in 15 years (except snap, but they seem too Ubuntu specific).

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Not officially but people have managed to reverse engineer it before in order to host their own - https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/lol-an-open-source-snap-server-implementation/27109

Whilst I do get the sentiment (and in no way do I support Canonical in keeping it proprietary), how likely is it that alternative Snap repos are going to show up if they did make it possible? Even with Flatpak where it is encouraged and documented I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone setting up a Flathub alternative of any significance.

• Gamma@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 days ago

elementary has their own repo for their system apps

I didn’t know about the self-hosted snap stores, thanks for pointing it out!

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 days ago

And I wasn’t aware of the Elementary thing with Flatpak! Admittedly I hadn’t really thought of it in that way, I was thinking something more akin to F-droid where there are a couple of extra repos you can add which have applications not on the main one due to slightly looser requirements. But making it specifically for apps for that ecosystem in particular makes a lot of sense.

• Chewy
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 days ago

Fedora also has their own flatpak remote, which only includes flatpaks build from Fedora rpms.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

For what it is worth you can install Snap on most distros. https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snapd

Snap is a cesspool for malware and shovel ware. The best apps are packaged by Canonical. Also, when people still cared about Snap, there were frequent reports of incompatibilities because it was developed with Ubuntu in mind.

• QuantumSoul@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

Snap is shit. I started using flatpak because apt didn’t support apps that I wanted and snap only supported ancient releases. .deb is annoying too and .appimage I don’t like to have the files hanging there

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I left Ubuntu when apt wouldn’t let me install a native package. It just would redirect to a broken snap.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Ubuntu may have convinced some proprietary developers, but Snaps are shit and devs know that I think