Hey friends!

Basically, here is my problem. I open the launcher menu (or KRunner) and start typing. Let’s say I type “firefox”, and hit Enter.

The launcher menu is very slow. It often opens “Files” instead, because that pops up after I type the first two letters.

Basically this means I need to wait a second for the launcher to finish searching, show me firefox, and then press enter.

This is frankly infuriating. Every other launcher on any other desktop or WM does not have this issue.

I have experienced this on two different machines running both Plasma 5 and 6, on different distros, both are beefy machines.

I’m sure there is a way to avoid it, does anybody know?

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

You can configure Krunner to not use some services that may be causing tthe lag.

It’s superfast in my machine.

Also, I think the first launch is the most problematic, so try to launch the background service at start, there must be some tutorials on this.

In any case, Krunner is not supposed to be a key-combo launcher. It’s a search engine. Use shortcuts for opening your most used apps.

• Super+B for browser
    • Super+E for file explorer

…and so on

• PotatoesFallOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

To be honest it should work even with lag. If I type firefox then never ever should files be selected, it’s just crazy to me. Maybe I should report this as a bug, I’m sure it’s easily fixed.