I’ve always had trouble getting into coding/programming because I’ve never truly dedicated myself to it. Mostly, this is because I kinda always lose momentum to learn it. I’m a heavy FOSS user; I love coreboot/Libreboot and am interested in getting into firmware development. I’ve already helped test hardware for Libreboot and enjoy learning about firmware.

I have just started to cut out gaming from my life to focus more on this. Maybe I should start with Python? At the same time, though, I feel like I should start with C, but don’t want to jump the gun too quick.

Feel free to share your stories!

• vrighter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

start with python to do what? learning a language is not the same a s learning programming. Heck most languages can be learned in an hour or two. Programming is another beast altogether.

A person can learn to use a hammer in minutes, but it doesn’t make them a carpenter.

Find a project you want to build, and start building it. solve problems, and learn along the way. Learning “python” on its own will not help you learn programming in any way. Programming stuff will.

• Bluefruit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

I second this.

I started learning Google app script for work and while its not exactly traditional programming like most folks would do, i can now look at javascript and have a basic understanding of whats going on.

I learned a ot by doing. And with the help of ai, i was able to learn concepts, syntax, the best way to do this or that at least to a degree.

Just trying to make something is the best way. Make a tool to make your life easier. Like if you have a repetitive task that you dont want to do each time, make a script that does it for you.