This is both a shower thought and a stupid question but I think it fits this community better.

Since air conditioning is apparently heating the local environment while cooling down a house I was asking myself whether it would be possible to basically either build a layer of glass/plexiglass right over the actual outer structure of a house, leaving a tiny gap between wall and glass, or at least put a house in a kind of glasshouse dome with a double glass wall. And consequently inject a sulfur compound, calcite etc into that “gap”, basically creating a very tiny micro-atmosphere that has that sun blocking effect.

Would that work, just logically/technically? Would the environment heat up less, more, or just the same as with geoengineering in the stratosphere? Would it even cool down a house/keep it cool at all?

• NeatNit
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Happy to hear :)

I should also say, I think I used the term “greenhouse effect” incorrectly. What I described is how a literal man-made greenhouse works, but “greenhouse effect” refers to a phenomenon on the world scale that is reminiscent of greenhouses, but operates on entirely different principles. For that, the composition of the atmosphere is actually relevant, and the term “greenhouse gases” refers to gases that contribute to warming. For an actual greenhouse though, as I said, it doesn’t really matter.

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Everything you described seems to remind me of a car left in the sun all day. Then you open the door, and WHOOSH, all that hot air hits you in the face.

• NeatNit
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Exactly! Windshield reflectors try to make the sunlight bounce back out before it has a chance to heat up the interior.