I have not used an IDE since I ditched Turbo Pascal in middle school, but now I am at a place where everyone and their mother uses VS Code and so I’m giving it a shot.

The thing is, I’m finding the “just works” mantra is not true at all. Nothing is working out of the box. And then for each separate extension I have to figure out how to fix it. Or I just give up and circumvent it by using the terminal.

What’s even the point then?

IDK maybe its a matter of getting used to something new, but I was doing fine with just vim and tmux.

• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

VSCode isn’t an IDE, although you can kinda make it work like an IDE with extensions.

I use Visual Studio Professional as my IDE at work, but we do a lot of C#.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

With these modern extensible text editors the line between IDE and editor is too blurry to really tell. Many things people would agree are IDEs (like Eclipse) are entirely based around a plugin architecture too. I don’t think it’s worth it to split hairs over whether Visual Studio Code and similar programs are or aren’t IDEs. With enough plugins, they’re IDEs. With too few, they aren’t. Where that line is is entirely subjective.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You also run into different sets of tools that define an IDE. And especially with language server protocols giving almost any text editor access to the only things that were ever strictly the domain of IDEs, I think it’s safe to say we live in a golden age of being able to write things with as much or as little assistance as you want