• Fisch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I honestly think both of those “arguments” are stupid anyway, given that you can charge it at home daily. I doubt anyone driving an ICE car empties anything close to their entire fuel tank in a single day.

• CrimeDad@lemmy.crimedad.work
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

A big tank in a fueled personal vehicle makes sense because you don’t want to have to stop and fill up every day. However, big battery in an EV doesn’t really make sense since it should be plugged in every day when you get home for a few hours.

• SaltySalamander@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

However, big battery in an EV doesn’t really make sense since it should be plugged in every day when you get home for a few hours

Except some people actually travel. Who wants to stop and charge every 100 miles?

• Contingencyfork@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

An easy way to get around this would be replaceable batteries. Like how mobile phones used to work.

Running low? Pop to the nearest charging station and swap your battery for a fully charged one. Or bring a spare. I’ve seen a video of it being done for scooters, don’t see why it can’t be scaled up for cars

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Been thinking about that since EV were just getting started. Of course it means you’d need to create new standards, get all the manufacturers and gas stations to use it, etc. But I really don’t see why it couldn’t work that way, park the car over the system, empty battery comes off and full battery goes in, pay a monthly subscription or something.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Then take mass transit or get a car that runs on fuel. Having all this extra battery mass everywhere is just bad all around.

• moonlight@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Exactly. I think a small, light and cheap battery plus a gas range extender for long trips makes way more sense than carrying around 2000 pounds of battery that only gets fully used once a year.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

At the very least, vehicle batteries and fuel tanks should be limited to prevent drivers from driving too long without a break. It’s kind of reckless to put 600 mile battery in a personal vehicle.

• cyberic
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Only when we’re road tripping and the 20 mins every couple of hours is all our bladders can take anyway.