link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

These ones I really enjoyed in the last few years:

• The Whale (whole room was crying at the end)
    • The Quiet Girl (surprise Irish movie that made my emotions come out)
    • Spy x Family - The Movie (great humour)
    • Civil War (shocking images, the mood change was brutal)
    • The Boy and the Heron (my first Miyazaki experience, what a wild ride)
    • Wonka (I’m not into musicals, but this was awesome as fuck)
    • Inside Out 2 (great orchestral soundtrack, well-written and relatable)
    • No Hard Feelings (worst trailer of all time, but the movie was very wholesome and funny)
    • Furiosa (I’ve watched that in IMAX with Dolby Atmos. FUCKING awesome.)
    • Robot Dreams (Cute animation + Twin Towers, nice combo)
    • Encanto (Disney + great plot + emotions)
    • To Catch a Killer / Catch the Killer (great crime movie!)
    • Barbie (they criticize Mattel and it’s really empowering for women, I liked it)
    • The Batman (dark, gritty, brutal - that’s how it’s supposed to be)
    • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (I can’t even describe how awesome this is)
    • Dungeons & Dragons (I never played DnD, but this was well-written, creative and entertaining)
    • The Super Mario Bros. movie (great humour and Jack Black does an awesome singing performance)

These movies are solid. Not great, but still very enjoyable:

• The Fall Guy (cool stunts!)
    • Challengers (a bit weird, but I liked the message at the end)
    • Fly Me to the Moon (solid acting, interesting premise, not every joke works)
    • The Bikeriders (a movie about a biker gang. Cool.)
    • Dune Part I + II (great SciFi flicks, but veeery long)
    • The Teachers Lounge (we produce one good movie per year here in Germany. This is one.)
    • The Holdovers (good acting, but the plot was stolen from someone else, sooo…)
    • Migration (very well written for a childrens movie)
    • Next Goal Wins (funny soccer movie)
    • The Creator (omg, those visuals!)
    • A Haunting in Venice (good mystery crime movie, but don’t expect to be able to solve the riddle by yourself)
    • M3GAN (another murder puppy movie, but pretty modern)

And these movies are pretty bad or just disappointing:

• Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Family Drama: The Movie)
    • Problemista (I wanted to like it, but it’s just weird, unfunny and incoherent)
    • Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (the disappointing fourth entry of a great trilogy)
    • Miller’s Girl (this movie is just an excuse to put Jenna Ortega in tight outfits)
    • Demon Slayer: Hashira Training movie (half of the movie is just a rerun of the last episodes, fuck you)
    • Madame Web (bad writing, bad CGI, bad everything)
    • The Beekeeper (Jason Statham kills everyone, but it was just boring)
    • Wish (all bad things about past Disney movies combined into a soulless new one)
    • Killers of the Flower Moon (way too long, laziest fucking ending I’ve ever seen)
    • The Equalizer 3 (Walking around and nothing happens - The Movie)
    • Falling for Figaro (an opera movie with the most cliche romance plot ever, total garbage)
    • The Little Mermaid (all underwater scenes are dark as fuck, what is this?)
    • 65 (Jurassic Park with no budget and Adam Driver)

…and then there’s also “The Zone of Interest”. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it, but it’s definitely an experience. You could’ve heard a hairpin drop at the cinema and it was packed with people. No one bought popcorn. I wish every fascist here in Germany would be forced to watch that one and think about their stupid beliefs.

• seth@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Wow you do watch a lot of new films! I didn’t expect such a detailed reply but it’s great, I am going to add a few from your list to my backlog based on your summaries. Thanks!

• lichtmetzger
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I wasn’t lying when I said that I go to the cinema almost every week! :D Tomorrow I’ll watch the new Deadpool movie.