• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I think this is bad news tbh. Harris can be as capable as she wants, but if the broadcaster doesnt stop Trump from a endless ramble or cut off his mic if he escalates to intolerable levels of behaviour, then this could end badly.

• Lavitz@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Don’t give Fox News respect. Start talking shit about it right now. Call this what it is, a scared old weird man who will only debate Harris on a “news” network currently paying billions for lying to everyone about the last election. Harris will treat Trump and the “journalists” playing moderators like children which is how we should’ve been treating them for years. Talking to them like adults validates their lies and bullshit.

• Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Harris should call them out. “I said a debate on a news source, not some weird entertainment channel. Might as well have the weather channel moderate the debate!”

• jwt@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

While entertaining for us, I don’t think that’d be a wise reaction. If she wants to win, she probably also needs to sway some people that are lifetime FOX junkies. Such a reaction could have a ‘basket of deplorables’ effect (being the stone cold truth, but hardly effective)

• Lavitz@lemmings.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Being nice to idiots has proven to be hardly effective. Kamala needs to read word for word the arguments the Fox News lawyers made when they were in court for the dominion case. Fox News isn’t news it’s entertainment and they don’t employ journalists they employ entertainers. This is what Fox News said.

• jwt@programming.dev
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

No, what she needs to do is win this election. That’s her job, everything else (like taking entertainment corpos to task for their shady tactics) comes secondary right now.

• Lavitz@lemmings.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I fail to see how one impedes the other, in fact I would argue it would help her win. If she’s running on doing just that why wouldn’t she take a shot. Why hide? You think any Fox News fanboys would be swayed by anything Kamala says? Her time would be better spent attracting unregistered voters and she could do that by saying the quiet part out loud.

• jwt@programming.dev
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I fail to see how one impedes the other, in fact I would argue it would help her win

Okay, give me an argument why setting Fox straight will help her win the election, because just saying so isn’t an argument. I’d argue that time spent bickering ‘with Fox about Fox’ isn’t time spent getting people that wouldn’t otherwise vote for her, to vote for her. (and that, by the way, is how one impedes the other)

Why hide?

Nobody said she should hide.

You think any Fox News fanboys would be swayed by anything Kamala says?

And this is the main point: Yes actually. If she makes salient points about matters that are dear to them, something is going to gnaw eventually. Have you seen Bernie Sanders’ appearances on the network? The audience definitely seems to be on his hand some of the time, just because he points out that what they have been told on the network isn’t making sense. It can be done. A bunch of them are a lost cause for sure, but certainly she ought to be able to get some of them to vote for her, she running against Trump (for fox sake!).

Her time would be better spent attracting unregistered voters

Agreed 100%, those also watch Fox though. And Trump spouting his garbage freely on that channel without opposing voices will not make them vote for Harris.

• Lavitz@lemmings.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 month ago

You really think it’s not ridiculous to point out how ridiculous it all is? There is value in calling out the elephant in the room however there’s no value in validating Fox News and giving into the grift. That only benefits Fox News and Trump.